Keeping the Firewall off for AppleTV?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kat.hayes, Dec 23, 2013.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

Apparently, I need to keep my firewall turned off for my AppleTV to synch properly. I live in an area that I am not too concerned about my neighbors hacking into my Mac.

1. With my Firewall off, can anyone from anywhere in the world hack into my Mac, or is it just possible for people in my immediate area to do this?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a good idea to leave your firewall on, as it helps protect against unauthorized access from anywhere in the world. The firewall does not consider location when allowing or blocking access. However, you should be able to operate your Apple TV with the firewall activated.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Have you tried connecting through firewall since the 10.9.1 update?
    I couldn't get VNC connections (from iPad) without turning of firewall in 10.9.0, but it works with firewall on in 10.9.1.

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

It actually indicated that I had to change my Firewall settings in order to synch with my AppleTV, though it did not specify what I needed to do, though I only had the Firewall turned on without any of the advanced settings, so I took that to mean I had to disable it all together....

5. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

This.
    With home sharing turned on, it shouldn't have any issues.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Turn on the firewall, then in the advanced tab set the checkboxes like mine is and it will sync to the ATV. Mine works fine like this.

[​IMG]