Keeping the keyboard clean.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medulla, Mar 25, 2017.

1. medulla macrumors regular

First of all I must apologize for such a trivial question, however as the title says, how do you keep the keyboard clean?
    I'm not one to eat with dirty hands or even eat while I use the laptop, however after time there might bee some oil marks on the laptop. I realized this especially after I sold my old MacBook Pro a little while ago, and now after receiving the new one, I don't want it to reach the condition that one had gotten to.
    I do use a compressed air duster, I've always just used Isopropyl Alcohol wipes for the keyboard, is this something I should continue to use or does anyone here have a better suggestion?
    Thanks!

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

There are usually keyboard skins available for those who want perfection.

But, they aren't usually comfortable to type on. And they sometimes leave marks on the screens if you don't remove them before closing the laptop.

3. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I'd love to know the trick, too. I let my old 2013 MBP become very dirty, and I don't want to make the same mistake with my new MBP.

4. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

Nah that won't be ideal, just a solution to keep it cleaner than usual. Not to perfection.

Definitely same boat as you.
    What are you currently using in terms of machine?

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

The 2016 13-inch TB MacBook Pro.

6. vcboard macrumors member

Use external keyboard :D
    I know we suppose to take care our tools, but in the old days we just use and carry our Pismo, TiBook bare without any hardshell, screen protector and/or keyboard protector. Feels like we've become the slave our tools instead.

7. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I use a light dusting of non ammonia sunglass cleaner followed by wiping it with a microfibre cleaning cloth. You can also use a lightly dampened paper towel. Avoid harsh chemicals such as bleach and ammonia and you'll be fine.

8. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

What are Pismo and TiBooks? :O - I'm only kidding. But your point is very valid, "slave of our tools". I mean I definitely intend to you use it and not baby it the whole time, however you know when you first get a product theres this certain level of degree of trying to protect it, over time I'm sure I'll just get lazy and just take care of it here and there.

Just wanted to see how others take care of it, its a no brainer, microfiber cloth, damp towel, so on. Theres a page dedicated to it on Apple, but maybe here other peoples $0.02 and see what they think its a viable option.