Keeping the mac plugged in all day and in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by super tomtendo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

For work, I use a Windows 7 PC and obviously I hate it. It freezes, lags, and it's, well, WINDOWS!

So I have been debating whether to bring my personal computer, my macbook air, in to use it for work.

My question is this and this always concerns me with laptops.

Is it bad to keep my computer plugged in all day? Does this harm the battery? AND can I keep it in clam shell mode all day for my external monitor?

Would this affect the battery life/performance?
    Would clam shell mode make it over heat?

2. glen e macrumors 68030

the MBA is made vent wise to be plugged in all day and in clamshell mode - see the apple support pages on this. Mine runs this way as my main computer in my office, attached to a LG 27" monitor. It gets drained and recharged about once every 30-45 days or so...

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

4. fireworksdesign macrumors member

im using clamshell mode when im at home, which is most of the time by the way. what i noticed was when playing flash games, like yoville etc, the fans kick in , especially with scenes with a lot of animation. But when in clamshell mode, i don't hear the fans that much ,

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

Is the Windows 7 PC a computer the company provided you? If so, might want to check with the IT department and have them look at the issues you have. Freezing and lag are not an inherent trait of Windows 7 unless it's severely underpowered or simply has something wrong with it. I have multiple Win 7 PC's and they're all at least stable and snappy as my MBA. At least the ones with SSD.

Unless of course, you're simply trying to find any reason to bring your MBA to work, which I suspect may be the case here.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

To answer your immediate question, No, there is no issue with leaving your machine in clamshell mode or plugged in all day. I do the same (and did the same with a 2010 Air) and had no issues.