Keeping the Mac Pro/OS in top shape

chipandegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK
I'm new to Macs after using Pcs for many many years. I made the right move

I was wondering if there..

Are there any procedures that I should do or things that I need to look out for to keep my Mac running smoothly. Basically to keep the OS in top shape and healthy. Things that I need to do often?

Any tips, will be great

cheers

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Leave it alone to do its own thing. I found that trying to manage the OS actually caused problems.

hugodrax

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm new to Macs after using Pcs for many many years. I made the right move

I was wondering if there..

Are there any procedures that I should do or things that I need to look out for to keep my Mac running smoothly. Basically to keep the OS in top shape and healthy. Things that I need to do often?

Any tips, will be great

cheers

Defrag the drive, install antivirus and antispyware software and reinstall the OS every 12 months to speed things up. I also recommend norton utilities to help purge orphaned registry entries, clean up the rut etc.

oops sorry, microsoft windows flashback. Never mind.

adamzx3

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
NE Ohio
Defrag the drive, install antivirus and antispyware software and reinstall the OS every 12 months to speed things up. I also recommend norton utilities to help purge orphaned registry entries, clean up the rut etc.

oops sorry, microsoft windows flashback. Never mind.
LOL :)

daveIT

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
Tell it I love it daily and buy it flowers 2x a year....

...oh wait that's my wife

I've been running OS X since it came out and I can count on one hand the number of times it's crashed.

adamzx3

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
NE Ohio
I use Mac Janitor on my parents machine because they never leave it on long enough to do it's automatic maintenance. I believe the OS will defrag the hard drive itself if I remember correctly...I remember losing a pc to a simple defrag...just locked up and wouldn't boot back into xp....glad i'm on OS X now :)