Keeping the Macbook clean

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AuburnTiger, Mar 1, 2008.

1. AuburnTiger macrumors member

Hello all, I was wondering if you guys could share your experiences with me. What is the best way to keep your Macbook clean? I have the white C2D 2.0 Macbook. I've already bought a Brenthaven sleeve to keep it in when it's in by bag and being transported, but what about cleaning it? I've read mentions of something called magic eraser, and also some kind of alcohol wipes.

Do I use different things for the outside and the keyboards? For the screen?

Any advice is much appreciated. :cool:

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i use iklear. I got it at the Apple Store. Works great for the screen and the rest of the macbook as well. Good stuff. Never use windex on your screen!

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A lot of people use iklear. Personally, for the case I use alcohol prep wipes and for the screen I use water and a lint free cloth. It works for me.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

For my previous White MB...

I depended on the magic eraser and iKlear for everything. I also kept the foam insert (came with the MB) between the keyboard and the screen, 'cause I developed scratches on the screen. Though it was after the fact, I felt my screen was protected in some way. The scratches developed when the MB was closed and there was no abuse on my part. I noticed the scratches about 3 weeks after I bought the MB, so I took it back to the Apple Store and they considered them to be "cosmetic" and had no effect on the operation of the MB. Those scratches cannot be REMOVED by the customer, just short of replacing the screen for about $600 plus tax. :eek:

5. AuburnTiger thread starter macrumors member

There isn't an Apple retail store anywhere near here, so I think iKlear is out of the question, unless it's sold at a store like Best Buy or Target.

6. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I'm having trouble deciding on a case myself, I can't really find a good opinion.

7. AuburnTiger thread starter macrumors member

In my opinion, the Brenthaven Eclipse Sleeve (for 13 Macbook) is by far the best. Brenthaven gives a lifetime guarantee on all of their products. I've used a Brenthaven backpack for 5 years now, and the thing is near indestructible.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E508A9A&nplm=TP202LL/A

That's the one I have, the avocado (though it's much more green in person).

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

WOW, first post where you didn't mention your NEW 2 day old Black Macbook. Although it is now 3 Days old. I think it is time to replace . :)

If you are just doing a lite cleaning. iKlear, or a version is great for the screen. Other than that, just a damp cloth with keep the outside maintained. I have the Moshi Palmguard for my Black Macbook and would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to maintain there palmgurad and button cover. The trackpad sucked, and was removed after a few hours.

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I got those annoying spacebar scratches too. It drives me nuts! It may be cosmetic, but it definitely affects my metal health :eek:

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser made my nasty keyboard look new again

11. Prost264 macrumors newbie

Is there any place to store the power adapter as well? (In the sleeve, that is, not the backpack.)

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i use microfibre cloth on the screen and clorox wipes on the base but not anymore since i have a keyboard and palm cover thats rubber.... but i recently put leopard on my macbook it seems to get more space after i start it up does it de frag automaticly?

13. bananaquit macrumors member

Any problems with certain colored sleeves for a white Macbook? I'm thinking about dark colors rubbing off on the Mac, although I'm not sure why that would happen.

14. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

15. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I have a full body protection for my blackbook from bestskinsever.com, it protects against dirt and grease really well and is very reasonably priced.

16. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I use iKlear which i got off amazon.co.uk, the pack i got came with a spray and 12 travel wipes, very handly and effective.

17. blenks macrumors newbie

Could you possibly post a photo of the actual colour of the case? I really like it but I would prefer a deeper green and am curious about what it actually looks like!

18. Zegna macrumors member

I usually clean my white MacBook once a week.

I always use microfiber cloth for the screen and for the outside shell, and a simple white-colored pencil eraser for the palmrest and trackpad.

Works really well.

19. Uoila macrumors member

FYI, I don't know if they sell IKlear at best buy or target but I see that you can get it online.

http://www.klearscreen.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=56

With that said, I wouldn't recommend anybody buying this. I find it laughable that they call it "Apple Polish" like it only works on apple products (a chemical reaction with the apple logo??).

Any generic screen or electronics cleaner will work fine. I use diluted rubbing alcohol and water and it works great. I know that a lot of people object to using "harsh" cleaning products on your laptop but i've never had a problem.

good luck.