Keeping the MBP cool ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DELLsFan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Hi everyone -

My 17" MacBook Pro's CPU temps during encode sessions worry me. What is the normal, getting hot, and too hot temp limit for the CPU on my MBP?

No laps, covers, bedsheets or iSkin keyboard protectors used here. With no ext fan, temps reach about 83C or 181F and could go higher. The laptop is 2+ years old, I don't want to risk damaging anything - though I am still under Apple Care - so I just invested in an inexpensive desk fan that brings temps down an average of about 25-30 degrees F!

Both internal fans appear to be spinning at about 2k.

The MBP sits flat on a Griffin Elevator Stand in my cool, finished basement: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A?mco=MzE2OTkzMQ

I've heard of an app called SMCFanControl. I hear you can crank up the speed of the internal fans to help cool things down, but I'm worried about the limits. Just how fast are the fans supposed to spin? Rated speed and operational speed are quite different animals. The last thing I need is for the fans to burn out due to a well-intentioned app. I also heard of an app called CoolBook. Will this help me?

Meanwhile, the external fan I employ brings down the heat on encode sessions nicely. ;p It's funny to see, but hey - I like to encode and the MBP does this nicely albeit at higher temps.

Appreciate any input.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd ask Apple about that. My macbook Pro (it's the first Core 2 Duo version)'s CPU is at 56º right now.

3. Illicit macrumors 6502

Max RPM is 6000 for each fan. After about 5000, it gets very loud. 83 degrees is low. You should be able to go up to about 105-110 degrees C without worrying about anything. Setting the fans up to 6000 RPM will no doubt use more battery life and shorten the lifespan of the equipment. However, these fans were designed to run that fast, so don't expect them to go "BzzzT ah! *plop*" for a very long time even if you were to run them at that speed for hours on end.

SMCFanControl works well for OSX. but should you decide to use BootCamp, there's a nifty program called Input Remapper that'll do that just fine. It even controls the backlights/key shortcuts and gives you a nice print Screen button.

4. DELLsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Hey, thanks a lot. I may download the fan control thing AND call Apple - to make sure. There's an annoying problem I'm also having with an update too ... may as well test the waters.

If the logic board ends up getting replaced (while I'm still under Apple Care) because of either issue ... one fix should complement the other. :)