Keeping Time Capsule Cool with Legos

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FarSeide, Mar 19, 2010.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've gone through 2 TC so far due to heat and PS failure so with my latest TC, I thought I would try something little different to keep the TC cool and its been working great.

All I needed was kid's lego block...the temperature difference was significant. Before if I put my hand on top of the TC, it would be extremely warm/hot and now when I touch the top, its nice and cool.

Hope this helps to prolong this TC and I wanted to share... hope it works out for you as well.

[​IMG]

2. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Can't hurt! Why not buy a cheapo UPS for the thing too? That's what I'm doing with my recently replaced unit.

Apparenlty the power outages during writes is a serious failure maker.

TMS

3. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Mine is on a TV stand, next to my cable and TV, which happens to be by a window to keep it cool.

4. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

very very nice job, knowing that TC issues with heat problems, all i do was putting 4 remove gum and it was great, nice and cool 24/7 :cool:

5. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I guess you could use whatever you have at home to keep the TC suspended... all I know is it works and makes a big difference in temperature.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Great solution! If only the outer casing of the Time Capsule can be made to match :p.

I had mine sitting on four plastic pop bottle caps held in place by poster putty. The heat from the TC eventually made the poster putty completely useless and I had to remove the caps, but now it's sitting on the glass shelf of my new TV stand, which I believe is better at dissipating heat than the wood it was sitting on before.

7. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

An ingenious solution to a problem that should never existed in the first place.

Those big Lego bricks are called duplo bricks in germany by the way. They are for small children and twice as big as normal legos.

8. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It looks very cool too! and i hope i'll stay literally cool :)

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

10. GSX macrumors member

Nice solution to prolonging the life of your Time Capsule.

However, I can't help but think how lame it is that people would have to do this kind of stuff. What was Apple doing when they were quality testing Time Capsules? :confused:

11. keeper macrumors regular

My TC failed, I fixed it my changing it for a QNAP NAS.

Job done.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Same here, one day it was working the next now power at all. I dismantled and found the power supply had buldging caps.

I now have a 4 Bay Netgear Ready Nas NV+ with 4 TB of awsomeness

13. KenOzz macrumors member

KenOzz

Been looking for an idea to keep my TC cool its ok in the winter months but now the weather is warmer the TC gets warmer

So thanks for the idea, (now were is the grandkids leggo set):D

14. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

? would the aluminum from old hard drives i have taken apart could i use those as like a big heat sink and use a fan from a switch board my dad got from were he works at when they stopped using them work also the fan uses ac current