Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
My iPad 3 (9.7") is getting slow and iOS 9 didn't do it any favours. It has some noticeable lag and it really hinders its performance. Takes ages to turn on, multitasking is slow and it doesn't have Touch ID :p. On top of all that, it's quickly becoming outdated and on the verge of being unsupported by Apple.

I've been thinking about getting the new iPad mini 4, and while screen size isn't an issue, I'm wondering if it is better to go with the Air 2 instead?

I'm looking at the 64GB mini which is £399 - the same price as a 16GB Air 2.

Need some advice. Many thanks in advance. :)

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
I like mini 4 so your computer doesnt run slow (you mentioned yours does). Thats by far the best.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I personally would get the Mini 4 but that's just because it's a more convenient form factor for pretty much everything I use a tablet for. I should be picking one up in the next couple weeks to upgrade from the iPad I have. It will be a massive upgrade from your iPad 3.

Reactions: ron7624

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's not really about the deals, it's about which one will be more worth it in the long run.

Well, since you mentioned price....

Not sure how we can tell you which one will be better for you in the "long run". Especially since the primary difference is size. It's up to you, specwise they're too close to make a difference.

okifeelthat

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Well, since you mentioned price....

Not sure how we can tell you which one will be better for you in the "long run". Especially since the primary difference is size. It's up to you, specwise they're too close to make a difference.

not sure if you misread the OP but an iPad 3 is not close to an iPad mini 4 in specs/performance.

As for the OP i just upgraded from the iPad 3 to the iPad mini 4 and I haven't looked back. It's so ridiculously light compared to my iPad 3, its MUCH faster, it can multi task, has touch ID, and the display is beautiful (full color gamut, the lowest screen reflection percentage than ALL the iPads). If you have the money do it!

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
not sure if you misread the OP but an iPad 3 is not close to an iPad mini 4 in specs/performance.

The OP asked if it would be better to upgrade to an Air 2 instead of a mini 4.

And addressing the OP, it's a subjective judgement, there is no objectively correct answer. Some people prefer the spacious beautiful screen of the Air while others would rather have the ultra-portability of the mini. It's a question of what you want.

One piece of advice I would give is not to worry too much about other peoples' opinions (both devices have their fans), and to pay attention to any gut feelings or impressions you have. As there isn't an objective answer to which size is best, such feelings can be an indication of what you'll be happiest with. And if you choose one and discover it's not as great as you'd hoped,there is a return period.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Dollar for dollar the Air 2 is tremendously better value wise due to all the promotions happening. It has an entire extra cpu core and much faster gpu. The mini 4 should come into play only if you are sure the smaller form factor is a big deal for you.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I owned the iPad 3 or the brick as I liked to call it, man that thing was heavy although the screen was a giant leap from the iPad 2.
I'm sure the 3 would be struggling with IOS 9 and a new pad would definitely be a huge jump in performance. I bought the Mini 4 and it truly is an amazing little tablet, very fast, very light and a beautiful screen as well as fast internet speed.
If you can appreciate the the lightness factor over the Air 2 I would go for it, but don't forget the screen is a lot smaller and some people have trouble reading websites especially.
In the end it's your money and your decision.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
It's not really about the deals, it's about which one will be more worth it in the long run.

I think the term "worth it" is too subjective of a term and requires people to infer what features/aspects/benefits are important to you in order to give you an opinion (i.e. Worth it from a financial perspective, a usability perspective, a productivity perspective, a performance perspective, etc....)

If on the other hand, you had asked something more targeted, like "Which iPad (Mini 4 or Air 2) would you consider more future proof in terms of performance and better able to handle future IOS updates?" then we would know more about the features that are important to you (i.e. Performance) and you would stand a better chance of getting the types of responses you really want.

By the way, if you had asked this question, I would say the Air 2 because of the A8X. I have both at the moment (i.e. Been comparing one against the other) and the Mini 4 already shows some choppy/jittery animations compared to the buttery smoothness of the Air 2 (my observations only). Try scrolling through the open apps on the Mini 4 for example....very choppy/jittery on my Mini 4, but buttery smooth on the Air 2. This makes me wonder how well the Mini 4 will hold up to future IOS updates. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Personally, I prefer the size of the Mini 4. As noted above the specs are almost the same. Follow your gut. Whichever one you pick, you will have done the right thing.

I like your thinking style :)

I ultimately went out and got myself an 64GB Air 2. Really happy with it :)
I know I said screen size doesn't matter, but it's really nice to be using the split screen featur on a larger screen. Glad I went for it.

Hope apple doesn't surprise us all with an Air 3 :p

Reactions: ron7624

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
This idea of "worth it" doesn't really mean much. Very subjective.

The Mini 4 is great, the best Mini yet, and the first Mini with a truly good screen.

Do you have the money to upgrade? Do you want to upgrade? Then go for it. Otherwise, don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.