Keeping Verizon Unlimited Data Plan at costco!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjay80, Sep 28, 2014.

1. kjay80 macrumors regular

My local costco says they will let me keep my current unlimited data plan by transfering my upgrade eligibilty(on UDP line) to my second line(2gb tiered plan). Then, they will switch the phones.
    But a local bestbuy says i can transfer my upgrade on UDP line to another line(no UDP, 2gb data plan), but i would be losing the unlimited data.
    Costco seems to know what they are doing, but what is the difference here? Activation methods seem same.

2. kjay80 thread starter macrumors regular

I am still trying to figure out how Costco is able to keep my current Unlimited Data but not bestbuy...

3. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

I was told on the phone by a supervisor in cellular sales that transferring upgrade will not touch your data package. All it does is extend your contract another 2 years. He said they can't touch your package if your line doesn't get the upgrade. They have to know what they are doing though. If that phone is activated on your line then swapped to the other line then they didn't do a alternate upgrade they just used your upgrade and swapped the numbers after activation. Be very careful of that. He allowed me to give my wife the upgrade but when the phone comes it will come on her number and not associated with mine.
    I have been trying to find out myself if best buy or Apple could actually do that or if only verizon could do it the right way.

4. cnotes2019 Suspended

Check out threads on android central or even slickdeals about using 3rd party retailers to upgrade and keep UDP.

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

The system that these authorized retailers use allows them to do "alternate upgrades" so the terms of the upgrade are dependant on the eligible line but the contract dates and phone activates on the line you want it but doesn't touch the features/packages.

Used to work with VZW and am very familiar with the access costco uses and how this would be possible.

6. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

In my case my udp line had a upgrade but my wife's max 8gb line didn't so the guy put my upgrade on her line and the phone came on her number. It only extended my terms didn't touch my plan at all.

----------

So are you saying they can swap the upgrades like was done with mine without touching the data package?

7. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I bought a 6 at Best Buy (in store) last week and they transferred the upgrade on my UDP to another line and I retained the UDP no problem. They didn't even question why I was doing it since I'm sure they know.

8. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

9. comptr macrumors 68000

I was told when I wanted to do this that its possible they could check and see that its been done and they will revert you back to a 2GB plan according to the people at the costco I went to so just switched to the max 8GB with teathering plan.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

If this can be done without issues in Verizon's own website, I don't know why any 3rd party would be different. Maybe Costco had some incentive to what they told you, whatever that may have been.

11. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

Right !! I knew you could do it over the phone or online but I was wondering myself if it would work in 3rd party store because if they had stock you could trade in old phone and possibly have nothing out of pocket.

12. kjay80 thread starter macrumors regular

so, as long as I transfer my upgrade from UDP line to another line(2GB Data Plan), and activate the phone from the second line, then switching the device back wouldn't lose the UDP?
    Regardless I get it from Costco or Bestbuy, correct?

13. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

As long as that 2gb plan doesn't have a upgrade available it will work. I did it today in a apple store. But beware don't let any retailer say they are transferring the upgrade and actually just upgrading you udp line and swapping numbers. The udp will be gone then.
    My advice is transfer upgrade in store. Don't tell them anything about what u are going to do. Activate the phone on the 2gb plan just like you tell them and then just swap sims when you leave and be done with it.