Keeping WiFi connected....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrsmitty13, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mrsmitty13 macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook for about a year now and its completely growing on me so I am in the process of switching over to all mac products. Anyway my issue is this...

Whenever I leave my macbook (which is connected to wifi) for a period of time (over an hour) and come back, the internet connection doesnt seem to stay connected. Meaning if I open safari a web page will not load. To fix this I usually have to turn the aiport off and back on and it works no problem. Is this an issue with the macbook or the router? I have a dlink 614+. Is there any settings I can change?

This is even an issue if the internet is being used while I'm away such as a file sharing program. The macbook will cut off the internet. Its not in sleep mode or anything, just the screen shuts off.

Help would be awsome! :p

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

When I had a Macbook (a long time ago, first generation so take this with a grain of salt) the network was the biggest problem with it. It would drop at random every so often and when it did work it was uncharacteristically slow (speedtests showed it at about 1/5th the speed of my macbook pro next to it).

I'd take it in to apple and ask for a new one. Its most likely not your routers fault as I changed three times before giving up on the macbook.

3. shwc macrumors regular

set your computer not to sleep

When your mac goes into deep sleep mode, the airport connection is severed (I believe). Give it a while (perhaps as much as 15 seconds), your computer will reestablish the connection. Your router or ISP might server your computer a different IP address than you had prior going to sleep, which will take extra time for your mac to sort out.

If you want to avoid this, set your computer to never sleep (see energy savings in the systems preferences). Allow your display to sleep but not your computer.

4. mrsmitty13 thread starter macrumors newbie

In your guys experience if i plug in an ethernet cable will that be likely dropped as well?