iPad Keeping wifi on all of the time???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCtoMAC1, Dec 20, 2013.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

All,
    I have a wifi only Mini and I'm curious if there is a way to prevent my iPad from dropping the wifi connection when it locks or goes to sleep.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

I've owned iOS devices since 2007 (starting with the original iPod touch) which have connected to a variety of routers, and I've never witnessed regular occurrence of your problem.

As a matter of fact, over the past couple of years, my iOS devices have very reliably kept on the WiFi network in order to do iCloud backups (typically in the middle of the night).

My iDevices have included the original iPod touch, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, original iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4s, iPad mini Retina, and iPhone 5s. The latter two are currently in my possession. For the devices that have been capable of cellular data connectivity, I have always turned off cellular data at home. The cellular data reception at my place is bad, so I don't really need my devices to attempt to access the cellular data network until I step out the front door.

I used Buffalo routers this entire time up until about a month ago, when I switched to an Apple AirPort Extreme base station.

Since you neglect to mention anything about your router and the environment in which you are using these devices, the only course of action one can recommend here is for you to take your iPad to the Genius Bar and have them run a diagnostic on it.

Good luck.

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Agreed... my Air always seems to be connected.

It does its cloud backups, and if I open the smart case, it seems "instant on".

R

4. brent1977 macrumors regular

If I understand the original post, I've always had (and still do) the same experience as the OP with my devices (iPad Mini, iPad 3, 4S, 5,5S, etc.).

When waking them, they start out initially disconnected from wifi (connected to cell in case of phones) and then take a few seconds to show the wifi symbol again.

May be that they're only connecting periodically when locked.

5. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

What I don't get is that my wife has a retina mini as well (also wifi only). It was left on at home today and she kept getting texts (via iMessage) because I heard the noise.

Something is off...

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. brent1977 macrumors regular

Ok. I misunderstood what you originally described. With mine, even though the wifi indicator isn't on when I first wake them, they still receive email, messages, etc. while locked.

So what you're describing definitely sounds messed up. Try the usual resets and restores and such?

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Really? Always thought that the device would drop connection from time to time when locked. Usually, whenever I wake the device up, there is no wifi logo on the top left for about half a second to a second. Though I do get push emails so maybe it is always connected…

9. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I'm pretty sure iPhones don't keep WiFi on (when I turn the screen on after not using the phone for a while, it'll display LTE for half a second or so then snap to WiFi) but I'm pretty sure iPads do keep WiFi on (specifically WiFi models). Otherwise how would you get push notifications?

Could be something up with your router.