Keeping wifi on when sleeping.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AdamRock, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the mbp section.

Is there a way to make my mbp sleep while also leaving the wifi on it running?
    i dont want alternatives like dashlock, etc...

ps, i searched google and looked through the forums but could only find alternatives, not a solution.

2. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

that would be interesting to find a solution... are you looking to SSH or RemoteDesktop into your MBP?

3. celticpride678

No. The whole point of sleep on a computer is for the computer to not be active whatsoever. If it sleeps, all services will be shut down.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If this is the case, how does wake on LAN work? Not being sarcastic here, just an honest questions.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

IIRC, wake on LAN is a function of the ethernet chipset, not the OS. Most likely it sends a wakeup just like the keyboard or touchpad would when you wake a compute from sleep.

6. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I'm assuming that since you're wanting to leave something running 24/7 that you're not probably plugged in, and not running off of the battery. If that's the case, why not just leave your MBP running at full power? If you're worried about hard drive wear-and-tear, set "sleep drives" in Energy Saver. If you're worried about security, set a password for the screen saver.