Keeps ejecting discs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BLDun, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I have an older PowerPC G5 and am trying to do a clean wipe and install on the hard disc. Problem is that whenever I put the install disc in it spins and whirls for a while then spits out. I have tried an external DVD reader and it does the same thing. No matter what type of disc I put in it does the same thing. Any answers?

Thanks

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What OS?

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If this is happening on more than one DVD unit, I would guess that the problem is the DVD. Flip it over. Is it dirty? Scratches, smudges?

If there aren't any deep scratches you might try wiping it down with a lint free cloth (like the kind you'd use to clean glasses). Rub out all the smudges and dirt. It may take a bit of work. Then try the DVD again.

If that works, then the DVD was just dirty. The laser can't ready a dirty disk and will end up spitting out the DVD. The same for scratches. But to get those out you'll need to find some sort of scratch kit.

5. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't seem to matter. I put in a DVD of a movie and it did the same thing. The install DVD appears to be in great condition. No scratches or anything. Think maybe there is a firmware problem? If so how do I go about fixing it?

----------

Also, if I put in a music CD it reads it perfectly and opens iTunes like it is supposed to.

6. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

OK Don't know if this helps or not but I hooked up an external DVD reader and it finally read the install disc. . .sort of. Even though I rebooted holding down the C key it booted past the disc and booted from the hard drive. However, the install disc appeared on the desktop so I opened it and when I clicked on Install it opened a window that said to click here to restart and begin install. When I did it restarted but came back to the desktop and the install disc. No matter what I do it just goes in circles. Won't read the DVD for some reason so I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If the external DVD reader is USB, it won't boot from it unless you go through some arcane steps involving Open Firmware. You'll need a Firewire DVD external or another Mac which has a DVD drive (in which case you'd mount the G5 via TDM).

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I booted from USB on a G5- hold option at startup.

9. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! It was a USB DVD drive so that may explain why it won't read the install disc. I'll have to see where to go from here.

Thanks