KEH EN-EL3e Battery Difference?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by termina3, Aug 14, 2008.

1. termina3 macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a very lightly used (or new) extra battery for my D300; the Nikon-proscribed type is the EN-EL3e.

On KEH, I searched EN-EL3e, to find this:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&Size=&BC=&BCC=&CC=&CCC=&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=en-el3e

Two apparently identical batteries sold at different prices. Please note the "(synergy)" notation in the second selection.

What's the difference? Obviously cheaper is better, unless I'm making a sacrifice of some sort.

2. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

Synergy is a 3rd party part which is compatible. I have no personal experience but I have read good things about it. Of course, it's pretty tough to screw up a battery these days.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I went to Calumet and asked for the same battery. They handed me their branded one. I never buy third party batteries, never had any luck with them. However, Calumet is local to me and I can certainly rant like none other if the battery winds up screwing things up. Plus I was leaving for a trip in 3 days and didn't want to chance having only one battery. Though I never even used it. ;)

4. jake-g macrumors member

I wrestled with this dilemma also when shopping for some spare batteries. Ultimately I decided it was not wise to spend 2,000 dollars on a camera and then try to save 20 bucks on a battery.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me I wasn't trying to save money. It's what I was handed and no Nikon branded batteries insight to buy. But I totally understand your position there as it is mine.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Some 3rd party batteries are actually better... its not exactly rocket science and Nikon is licensing the technology from someone too. If its cheaper and has a warranty, I say go for it. Give it some heavy duty testing for a few days and if it matches in life, you're good. If it falls short, send it back.