Ken Burns....Craigslist....Thomson???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chef55, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Chef55 macrumors member

Who are these people that have infiltrated my new iMac?? :D

Does everyone get Ken Burns on their imovie? :mad:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ken Burns effect is the zoomy-inny thing that you can do in video and photo slideshows.

Craigslist is a shady online advertisement site for local purchases. It's a haven for scammers.

Thomson (in the U.K.) is an online vacation booking site, apparently.

3. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

If craigslist is a shady ad why would it be already on the Popular bookmarks?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Professional Tip: You can also be scammed on eBay. Guess what? It happens.

5. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

So Apple put the craigslist link on new iMacs to protect us??? How odd :confused:

6. RealaT macrumors regular

Apple DON'T put a link to craigslist on new macs

7. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Well it was there on my Popular bookmarks...brand new iMac..I didn't put it there. So where did it come from?

8. RealaT macrumors regular

Maybe your iMac isn't brand new, maybe you were scammed into buying a second hand machine and paying full price for it. Maybe the previous owner put it there.

Generally bookmarks only appear if you put them there. So someone must have bookmarked craigslist on that machine.

9. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

That is very interesting and you have said what I had myself thought.....only thing is the machine was purchased direct from the Apple store so what are the chances of it having had a previous owner?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Any thing's possible. ;) :p

11. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Just in case anyone else is wondering why these bookmarks appear on their iMacs.....it's because Apple put them on including Craigslist.......so my iMac has been checked by Apple and it has never been pre-owned. :)

12. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Yes the popular bookmarks that come default in Safari includes Craigslist.org. Which I think is a great site but just like any other unrestricted market place could have Scammers. Your local classified adds could have scammers so it's really no different. Just be safe and don't go buying stuff from people that want to meet up in a dark alley or have you send them money to London for a brand new $500 15" MacBook Pro. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

13. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice....but I've never bought anything of value on ebay or any other auction site, nor met anyone in a dark alley...well not to buy anything off of them ;)....plus I never ever buy anything electronic of any value secondhand.....:D

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't know they had craigslist.org in the UK. That is weird. I also never noticed it as one of the new bookmarks. Maybe it was just put there but your machine is still new.

Your opinion, there have and will be many solid transactions made using CL. You just can't be stupid about what you're buying.

15. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

I bought hub covers for my lexus on craigslist, I bought my Apple TV on there and a lens for my Nikon and all were fine and still work great after over a year now. So you just gotta be careful that's all. I also have bought numerous things from ebay I have a 150 rep with 100% pos feedback never had a problem there either. Just be smart about it and don't buy from neg feedback people and people with 2 feedbacks.

16. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

CL is world wide now they have one for like every country almost now.

17. deltaiscain macrumors regular

Yes, i get ken burns on iMovie, with every picture!!! how do i stop it. i already went to the properties thing, and changed it to fit to screen, but it doesn't do anything.

18. aplsede macrumors newbie

It's in my popular folder too. I've never had a problem with craig's list

19. RealaT macrumors regular

I guess it seems that Apple DO put a link to craigslist in Safari's default bookmarks, guess I ever noticed because I have MobileMe sync all my bookmarks across all my machines.

Ok i'll go hang my head in shame now :eek:

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, absolutely, and I know that there are, it's just...

Of the ten things that I had planned to buy locally there, all ten of them were scams.

All ten were also MacBook Pros, though, and I'm pretty sure the scam percentage jumps in that category. Que sera sera...:D