Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have the OWC Mercury Elite Pro drive bay and i want to ask for your suggestion on how to lock it so that it can be saved from the hands of thieves. I was thinking the Kensington lock, after all i believe that in the rear it has the appropriate hole.
Might there be a different way, other than my proposal, in order to preserving it from being stolen?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
ya lock the thing and put it out of sight
i put my NAS box; in a closet way back under some stairs. Its is cooler there and less dust.

Reactions: zoran

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I'm guessing the main goal is to deter honest people?

The usefulness of the lock is extremely limited, should someone decide to actually attempt to take it. However, it is better than nothing if hiding the valuable is impractical, there isn't going to be a big dog that will bite bad guys guarding your drives, and a (true) security safe isn't a possibility. Many of my electronics that are more valuable or have valuable data on them live in an ISM safe that is rated for both fire and tool/torch attacks.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yep if you go college with drinking associates coming in and out many of those so called college buddies will rob you blind! Laptops need to be in locked drawer! If you don't have put the lock on bed leg and put the laptop under the bed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.