Kensington Lock Unibody Macbook Pro HELP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btnnaz, Feb 23, 2009.

1. btnnaz macrumors regular

I cant get my kensington combo ultra lock to work with my late 2008 unibody macbook pro

2. menomano macrumors member

that doesn't help us much, what exactly is the problem? pics?

3. TdotMac macrumors newbie

Yes, please explain more. I was about to buy one for my late-'08 Pro...

4. whiter macrumors newbie

Re: Kensington Lock Unibody Macbook Pro HELP?

I was having a similar problem. I read the internet pages that said that Kensington locks were not compatible, and the subsequent press release from the company saying they were compatible.

When I tried my Kensington combo lock in my new unibody MacBook Pro, it didn't seem to work. I was able to figure out that what's different from the old models is that there is some sort of spring-loaded thing that pushes back against the lock:

-- I used to put the lock in with the combo was open (i.e. the center pin is mobile), twist it 90 degrees, push it in all the way, and then change the combo to lock.

-- My new MBP requires that the combo be locked (i.e. center pin is fixed), then twist, then change combo to open, then push in all the way, then change the combo to lock. An alternative is to use the old method (above) and use a small pin or key to help the center pin overcome the spring-loaded thingy. This second method seems to be faster and less cumbersome.

Hope that is helpful.