Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Anyone use a Kensington Trackball? I just online ordered the Slimblade, and am wondering if anyone uses it for work.

My five-year old Logitech MX Revolution is starting to lose its wireless handshake. Best damn mouse ever made, but stupid Logitech doesn't make it anymore, and its replacement, the Performance MX, isn't nearly as good (cheaper build and parts).

So I'm hoping people like their Kensington trackballs. Used one in college and it was fantastic with Macs, especially if you code, design, or do layouts. Pinpoint accuracy, along with the ability to zip the cursor across multiple screens super fast. Hoping Kensington is good.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
I have one, and is the second gen, yours is the third gen . What I like about the product is the weight of the ball. Has a good feel and smooth action because of it.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Anyone use a Kensington Trackball? I just online ordered the Slimblade, and am wondering if anyone uses it for work.

My five-year old Logitech MX Revolution is starting to lose its wireless handshake. Best damn mouse ever made, but stupid Logitech doesn't make it anymore, and its replacement, the Performance MX, isn't nearly as good (cheaper build and parts).

So I'm hoping people like their Kensington trackballs. Used one in college and it was fantastic with Macs, especially if you code, design, or do layouts. Pinpoint accuracy, along with the ability to zip the cursor across multiple screens super fast. Hoping Kensington is good.

I too started with Kensington's original TurboMouse with OS 9 and now that I've transitioned to OS X, their Turbo Mouse "Pro" (or some such similar wording) is your best bet. Still built like a tank and I agree, it's just as accurate as the old one.

I picked up one of LogiTech's TrackMan Marble units and, while it's OK, the ball is much too small (in my opinion - by half of Kensington's models) and as such, requires a MUCH greater movement input to move the cursor the same distance that a much smaller movement with either Kensington model would produce. I think the LogiTech products all use a standardized 1.5" diameter "marble/ball" whereas the Kensington models use one about 2.2" in diameter.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Kensington's been making trackballs since before USB. Assuming quality hasn't dropped (I switched over to Wacom), the general rule is bigger is better. Anything with a ball the size of an 8 ball should hold up well.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Kensington's been making trackballs since before USB. Assuming quality hasn't dropped (I switched over to Wacom), the general rule is bigger is better. Anything with a ball the size of an 8 ball should hold up well.

Yeah, I had an Kensington ADB trackpad back in the System 7 days. Loved it.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
On my 2nd Expert Mouse - K64325 - using Kensington trackballs since v4/5 in 96 (the days of ADB!)

The Slimblade looks nice, but has limited functionality compared to the Expert. We have one, but put it out of service when the software failed to deliver what the Expert does.

Kensington's software updates are almost bi-decade events, but the current trackballworks is holding up well into 10.9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.