Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdkrebs11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Upgraded last week from the 16G 3G to the 32G 3GS. I have the battery pack listed above. For those of you not familiar, it charges any USB type device. It is about the size of a deck of cards but half the thickness (model# K38021). The package claims to charge an iPhone 5 full times on a single battery pack charge. With my 3G, I would get 3-4 full charges in before it ran out of juice. But with the 3GS, I don't even get 1 full charge. The phone gets really hot and the battery pack does too. Anyone know if the 3GS handles battery charging differently for some reason? Do external battery packs not work well with the new phone for some reason? Doesn't make sense to me why that would be the case but there is definitely a difference. Anyone experiencing something similar with this battery or any other ones?

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
While I can't answer the primary question here, I can give you another data point that might be of interest. While I do not have the battery pack you do, I do have an APC pack that's similar in the sense that it charges any USB device. I've used it (just once) with my 3GS and a generic iPhone/iPod cable. I didn't see the same heat issue and the battery pack seemed to have plenty of remaining charge left once I charged up the GS.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I may not be answering your question. But I was looking at the Kesington as well for my 3Gs. I paid a little more and got the 3DJuice battery and the battery is way beyond what I have been expected. It charged my 5% battery to 100% in 1.5 hours (no usage doing charge, just left it at my desk.) There is still juice left for another full charge. I got mine three days ago, so I can't comment on the long term usage.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.