Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

First introduced during CES 2021 last month, Kensington's new StudioDock docking station for the iPad Pro and fourth-generation iPad Air is now available to pre-order. Pricing starts at $379.99, and pre-orders are estimated to begin shipping in March.

kensington-studiodock.jpg

12.9-inch iPad Pro, 11-inch iPad Pro, and 10.9-inch iPad Air models can be magnetically attached to the dock and charged with 37.5W USB-C Power Delivery. The dock can be rotated to use the iPad in either portrait or landscape mode.

A recipient of a CES 2021 Innovation Award, the StudioDock greatly expands an iPad's connectivity options, with three USB-A ports, one USB-C port, one HDMI 2.0 port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, an SD card reader, and a Gigabit Ethernet port. The dock also has built-in iPhone and AirPods wireless charging, and an optional Apple Watch charger that connects to the dock will be available later this year.

For the StudioDock's complete specifications, visit the Kensington website.

(Thanks, Liam!)

Article Link: Kensington's All-in-One iPad Pro Docking Station Now Available to Pre-Order

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I love my iPad Pro, and use it more than any other device, and while I think that this Kensington dock is actually a very interesting idea, I can't see myself trying to turn my iPad into a 13" iMac of sorts.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 11.15.51 AM.png

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Unique design but $379.99???
Yeah, I rather like it, especially for people who'd do better with an iPad "desktop" than a mac. Or I could see it perched in a "non-geek" spot in the house for light use. But dat price...

It is neat to be able to rotate to portrait or landscape without causing the attached cables/etc to be in an unusable position.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The dock is expensive, but I have been using my 12.9” iPad as basically a second screen when working from home. When I do this, I put the iPad (plus the magic keyboard) on a laptop stand, and use a trackpad as a cursor. I basic iPad stand, along with a paired keyboard and pointer device, is a great way to use larger iPads, maybe even better than the magic keyboard.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
This thing has a few issues...

It needs USB-C
The iPad attachment mechanism should be magnetic, to make it easy to attach/detach the iPad
The price seems high

I like the "Apple monitor stand" design, though.

Reactions: VaruLV and RevTEG

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
This may be a dumb statement, but man... just buy a Mac. Between buying the iPad, the keyboard and trackpad and this doc, you'd have it all in a cheaper form factor with the new Macbook Air. I don't get it.

iOS apps. I say this as both an M1 Mac owner, and a heavy iPad user.

Many times, iOS apps are just better, faster, more convenient than trying to do the same thing on an M1 Mac. Even if your primary interface is a keyboard/trackpad to the iPad.

Many of the premium iOS apps just aren't available on Mac (I'm not gonna go down the side-loading rabbit hole).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I would be tempted at $199. But $400, whew! Seems like they are targeting someone who need real productivity features like USB connections, HDMI and LAN connectivity. I guess I'm not the target market, but I'm interested in hearing from others who feel this dock would improve their workflow.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
This may be a dumb statement, but man... just buy a Mac. Between buying the iPad, the keyboard and trackpad and this doc, you'd have it all in a cheaper form factor with the new Macbook Air. I don't get it.
I use a 16 inch MBP for travel or if I want to get out of the house and work from someplace else. I use my iPad for things like reading books or voice navigation when I am driving. They are different tools for different jobs.

(Actually, I am not doing any traveling or working from food courts right now. With any luck, the virus will be gone by this time next year.
They can’t expect to sell many of these at $379. Who do they think they are, Apple?
Did I ever tell you about the kid with the lemonade stand on the beach?

I walked up and asked him how much for a cup?

His answer was, one hundred million dollars.

I said, wow, that's expensive. It must be good. He said, it's the best lemonade in the world.

I asked, have you sold any yet?

His answer, No but it only takes one.

I think the kid was a bit shocked when I purchased a six pack.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I reallay like this design (if not the price), but, and I say this with much love for my iPad Pro, iPadOS really holds the device back from working as a desktop/laptop replacement.

(Edit: which I’m fairly confident is deliberate: Apple want to sell both)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.