Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi all, I recently upgraded to a 5,1 Mac Pro from my trusty 3,1 which has been given new life as a media server/file server.

It is running Mojave. It will not display anything on my Geforce GT 730 which is a keplar GPU. I know this card works, I used it in my 5,1 when I first got it to flash it up to the latest firmware.

Prior to this, my 3,1 had used a GTX 1060 when web drivers were still a thing, after those were axed I bought a flashed 780 Ti which has been moved to my 5,1.

The 3,1 works fine with both the original Radeon 2600 and a Geforce GT 120. None of which are metal GPUs which is why I'm trying to use the 730.
Here is a screenshot of the 3,1 connected in screen sharing: As you can see the card is identified, but it won't recognize anything is connected to it. There are two displays connected, my 50" Sony TV and a small 17" DVI monitor. Neither show up unless the stock GPU is plugged in.
Any ideas??
Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 22.59.02.png

If your answer is to install HS, or a supported OS please don't waste our time commenting. There is a plethora of users out there that make good use out of 3,1s with metal GPUs such as this one.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
are you running @dosdude1 graphics patch for Non metal video cards?

it can break Metal video cards, so I would remove the patch/install Mojave again but without the Non metal video card patch :)

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
are you running @dosdude1 graphics patch for Non metal video cards?

it can break Metal video cards, so I would remove the patch/install Mojave again but without the Non metal video card patch :)
I am, yes. I thought about that.. Wasn't sure if it would cause a problem or not. I only installed it because I was going to run the card mixed with the 2600 or GT 120 for a boot screen but nothing would display on it so I took it out. I just decided to fiddle with again tonight.

How do I go about removing it? Or do I have to install the OS again?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
that will explain your issues then :) there may be info in the thread on running 10.14.x on unsupported macs about uninstalling it but im not 100% sure on the details sadly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.