Kept my iPhone 6 Plus in a box for 6 months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jodie1987, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

hey I used my iPhone 6 plus for about 2 months and then i decided to buy a samsung, i have kept my iPhone 6 plus in a cardboard box for the past 6 months in normal room temperature and have only charged it for like 20 mins a couple of times, could i be damaging the phone because I am not using or charging the phone

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You could be degrading the battery life to some degree, but if you mostly keep the charge in the 40% - 80% range while you are storing it and charge up the battery a bit here and there it should be fine.

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I have a Nexus 6 that I no longer use that just sits on my dresser. I make sure to play with it periodically and like C DM said, keep it at 40-80% battery. I've noticed no degrading in the battery after doing this for ~3 months.

4. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

is there any way i can check my iPhones battery health to see if it has been degraded in anyway such as a app etc? thanks

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

You are fine.

6. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

will the battery degrade if i leave the phone off?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not unless leave it off with an empty battery or don't charge it up a bit once in a while (or keep it in a hot or humid environment or something like that).

8. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i have charged it within the past 2 months and i have left it off for the past 1 month should that have degraded the battery in any way over the past 2 months also, is there a app i can check the battery status? thanks

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can try an app like Battery Life: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-life-check-internal/id1080930585

10. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok can someone just answer this question, I have had my iPhone in a cardboard box for 4 - 6 months, its always been off when in the box and always had charge, could my phone have a damaged battery from me not using it, and is there any way I can check my battery health? Thank you.

11. Newtons Apple, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Like the others said you can use one of the battery apps to tell you about your battery. You battery starts to wear out the day it was made. Using your phone daily will wear more on the battery that not using it. Not using your phone will not prevent the battery from degrading but it will do so much more slowly. It will not last forever but it will last longer not using it o_O

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

If the previous replies that already discussed this a number of times somehow still haven't given you that information, it seems like additional replies that would essentially be repeating the same things again aren't going to get the job done either.