Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
You do realize that if they did include a retina screen it would increase the price tag as we'll as decrease the battery life by about half right?

no it wouldn't. Dell XPS13 (non touchscreen) can put out 15 hours of battery life. Why would a retina MB?

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
no it wouldn't. Dell XPS13 (non touchscreen) can put out 15 hours of battery life. Why would a retina MB?

I meant the MacBook Air. And the size of the battery in the air is smaller than the rMB. Which mean that if you give the air a retina display you'll significantly negatively impact the battery life.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I meant the MacBook Air. And the size of the battery in the air is smaller than the rMB. Which mean that if you give the air a retina display you'll significantly negatively impact the battery life.

11 MBA has 38 watt-hour vs 39,5 watt hour in MBr. 13 mba has significant more.

also it would be very easily for Apple to introduce Force touch and tier-style battery for MBA retina and that would increase battery size so I don't see it as an issue.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium

The capacity of the battery in the 13" (52wh) is actually bigger than in the 12" (39.7wh), the 11" (38wh) is a tiny bit smaller. So get your fact straights before you post such things.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
The capacity of the battery in the 13" (52wh) is actually bigger than in the 12" (39.7wh), the 11" (38wh) is a tiny bit smaller. So get your fact straights before you post such things.

So I'm half wrong, but it's still a fact that battery life will take a hit if you put a retina display on an air.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
All of us that have them will definitely enjoy them. Except those that return them because all they do is switch spaces and use mission control.

I "get" what you're saying (I never full-screen apps, never use Mission Control and always turn transparency off, and have no UI lag complaints), but the universe of people for whom the excellent rMB isn't the magic bullet is a _little_ broader than that. ;)

Maclee2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Louisville, KY
Glad you enjoy your new laptop made in 2011, lol.

Guess you can't afford one. I understand. Sucks to be poor, I remember when I was young and poor too.

----------

I "get" what you're saying (I never full-screen apps, never use Mission Control and always turn transparency off, and have no UI lag complaints), but the universe of people for whom the excellent rMB isn't the magic bullet is a _little_ broader than that. ;)

I use 3 or 4 spaces daily on the new macbook without any UI lag or noticeable issues.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Wow a real thread about why a person liked their purchase.
Add me to your list, I really enjoy the 12" rMB over my 11" MBA.

But, you made people sad because there are so many threads where people say, "I really wanted to love it, but..."

When they really meant to sat, "I am working real hard to hate it and here's why..."

I like the "faster horse" quote though.

Here's a few for the, "Why didn't Apple do this..." crowd.
Yes if only my Commodore 64 had:
1. More memory.
2. A hard drive.
3. A Video card.
4. Faster CPU.
5. ...

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Wow a real thread about why a person liked their purchase.
Add me to your list, I really enjoy the 12" rMB over my 11" MBA.

But, you made people sad because there are so many threads where people say, "I really wanted to love it, but..."

When they really meant to sat, "I am working real hard to hate it and here's why..."

I like the "faster horse" quote though.

Here's a few for the, "Why didn't Apple do this..." crowd.
Yes if only my Commodore 64 had:
1. More memory.
2. A hard drive.
3. A Video card.
4. Faster CPU.
5. ...

in term of footprint.. are they similar? Can i buy a sleeve that is made for MBA 11 and will fit rMB perfectly?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
in term of footprint.. are they similar? Can i buy a sleeve that is made for MBA 11 and will fit rMB perfectly?

No, they differ a bit and fit will vary (depending on materials). There are exterior dims on Apple's web site, but I've owned both and a good, tight fit for one won't work with the other. If you're talking about something like a neoprene sleeve, it may stretch enough to be ok, or in the case of one I had that fit the 11" MBA well, it was actually loose with the rMB in the front-back dimension.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If the 13" MBA got retina display and force touch trackpad what exactly would be the point of the 13" rMBP? It seems obvious to me that the MBA will only be around until the rMBP gets light enough and the rMB has a $999 entry price.

Imserious

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Australia
"Single port is just fine, if you need many ports to use your computer today, you are doing it all wrong. I do all my backups and any necessary restorations wirelessly. I use the cloud, not just Apple, but multiple clouds".

Exactly why Apple chose a single port. We should not have a reliance on external devices and or backups. If your a video pro or Data hog then this device simply isn't for you unless your willing to compromise and get adapters. Please don't whinge that they didn't include enough for you.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If the 13" MBA got retina display and force touch trackpad what exactly would be the point of the 13" rMBP? It seems obvious to me that the MBA will only be around until the rMBP gets light enough and the rMB has a $999 entry price.

I agree on the MBA, but think that perhaps Apple keeps the MBP line as the heavier/thicker/port-lier ;) laptop and modifies the MB line to include a 14" ultra lightweight to match the 12". Just a theory; only Apple know, and possibly even they haven't decided.

patch5674

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
WOW, OP, Did you really just say 'sucks to be poor'.

First you claim one retina screen is better than the other, then you try claiming the rMB has better speakers than the rMBP.

I thought I would let you off those 2 outrageous claims, but the 'sucks to be poor' line dragged me over the edge.

However before you accuse me of being bitter and poor, I am tapping out this reply on a 2015 pro.

Saw the rMB in Regent St, and I have to admit it is highly alluring, but not quite enough for me right now, seeing as the reason I wanted to change was my 2011 air's fans were living at 5000+ rpm with my day to day workload.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Single port is just fine, if you need many ports to use your computer today, you are doing it all wrong. I do all my backups and any necessary restorations wirelessly. I use the cloud, not just Apple, but multiple clouds.

I'd argue with that, there are plenty of situations where you many need to plug in two hard drives or a DLSR and a hard drive or something else. These new MacBooks have tiny onboard storage and some of us can't afford to trust the cloud with work-related backups like images and video that take huge amounts of space

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'd argue with that, there are plenty of situations where you many need to plug in two hard drives or a DLSR and a hard drive or something else. These new MacBooks have tiny onboard storage and some of us can't afford to trust the cloud with work-related backups like images and video that take huge amounts of space

Storage isn't any different than other Mac laptops, other than the 1TB option which is available on only a few high end Pro options. In fact you can't buy the rMB with the 128 GB option, thankfully (IMO).

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010

No.

I am using my 11" sleeve for awhile and looking for a better fitting one. The 11" is a bit wider but about the same height as the 12".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree on the MBA, but think that perhaps Apple keeps the MBP line as the heavier/thicker/port-lier ;) laptop and modifies the MB line to include a 14" ultra lightweight to match the 12". Just a theory; only Apple know, and possibly even they haven't decided.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 14" MB someday. But I'm not convinced the MB will follow the Air in terms of slowly creeping towards the Pros in terms of ports and power. I think the Pros will get lighter and thinner but Apple will keep a clear distinction between the two lines. And the MBA will be gone within 2 years.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 14" MB someday. But I'm not convinced the MB will follow the Air in terms of slowly creeping towards the Pros in terms of ports and power. I think the Pros will get lighter and thinner but Apple will keep a clear distinction between the two lines. And the MBA will be gone within 2 years.

I don't disagree at all and didn't mean to imply otherwise. ;)

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

what Apple should do is get rid of "Air" line.

12 inch MBr using M processor (2lb with 2 usbc)

14 inch MBr using M processor (2.5 lb with more ports)

13 inch MBP retina using regular Intel processor after a weight-loss (maybe around 3 lb with full ports)

15 inch MBP reinta (3.5lb with graphics card and ports)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.