Kern protection failure and printers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Miss Leah, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Miss Leah macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.

Every time I try to print something to a specific printer (a Xerox Phaser 7760 DX), the program from which I am printing crashes. When I check the error message it tells me there is a kern protection failure (I've attached the entire report here).

This all began about 4 days ago when I upgraded the driver off of the Xerox website. In an effort to repair the problem, so far I have tried re-installing the same driver; removing all traces of the driver that I could find on my system and re-installing the original driver that has been working reasonably well up to this point; repairing all my passwords in disk utility (I think all of them were wrong) and, finally, trashing my preferences files for all affected software. None of these have helped.

It is only my system that is causing problems. When I try to print from someone else's machine, it works perfectly. Of course, I was the only one to do the driver update.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd sure appreciate some help.

Attached Files:

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Have you removed the printer from your queue and reinstalled it to the queue?

3. Miss Leah thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so, but I suppose I'd know if I had. Can you explain how?

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have two identical printers and every so often my MBP gets confused on which is which. When that happens I uninstall both printers, reboot the computer, and reinstall the printers. Clears up the problem and it may help you.

Go to system prefs>print & fax. There's a box on the left that lists all your printers. Use the "-" key at the bottom to delete the profile for the printer. Reboot, reverse the process.

5. Miss Leah thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, no dice. I had high hopes for that one. Is there anything else it could be?