Kernal Issues with current MBAs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ewen, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Ewen macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Does anyone still remember the horrible kernal problems with the 1st revision MBAs? It was a problem with a lot of Rev1 MBA where the kernel task eats up cpu power and everything slowed dramatically down.

I know because I'm still using a rev1 MBA.

I'm now considering to upgrade to the current MBAs but not sure if this problem is still around. In which case I'll go for the MBP. Seriously, watching youtube more than 5 mins renders the system unusable.

Anyone care to give feedback on putting the system on load long periods of time - playing games for more than an hour?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It doesn't like games especially. I was playing Super Meat Boy for around half an hour, the fans were super high for a long time and then slowed themselves right down, and the game started running like crap.

I think the CPU/GPU was underclocking itself due to the heat, understandable maybe, but if you're looking to game, I'd look elsewhere.

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I typically don't push my 2011 mba 13 i5 256 gb sad much.

I did watch the complete 80 minute apple company tribute to Steve Jobs ( but maybe that was in quicktime ? ).

I have pushed my machine for an hour or more several times with some big handbrake dvd encodes. It uses all the cpu's to max and moves the temp up pretty good ... fan comes on and it handles it all just fine.

That is under mac os x though ... not under win 7. It seems like perhaps drivers/fans/cooling under win 7 may not be as "solid" as how it performs under 10.7.2???

That being said I do have win 7 bootcamp setup with the one shootemup that I have Crysis. It plays tolerably ok and I have used that one for 90 minutes or so. Fan definitely kicks in and runs until you exit.