Kernal Panic Advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ender land, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

I've now had two kernel panics with my four month old MBP 13" (from late 2010).

I am unsure if this is normal, and am assuming not. To "cause" this I had been listening to music with my MBP with screen brightness at zero and shut my MBP (presumably putting it to sleep) and upon awake, the MBP was not responsive - the keyboard lit up and there were audible hard drive/fan noises however. I could not get the brightness to change on my screen and after a few minutes trying turned it off the hard way.

Is there any information here which is useful? This is somewhat frustrating as I have now had my four month old mac give me a kernel panic more often than years of windows and my single blue screen :confused: I do not recall what caused the previous one.

Advice would be appreciated!

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    short answer:

reinstall the OS

doesn't mean you have to wipe your HDD, though backing up home folder first is always a good idea

3. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the only way to stop a kernel panic is to completely wipe the entire computer? That seems like overkill.

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    my post actually said 'doesn't mean you have to wipe your HDD'

simply reinstall the OS over the top of what you have now.
    it'll create a new System folder and also afolder entitled Previous System Folder (wherein lies the fault I'd say).