Kernal Panic Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeM87, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

I have had my iMac nearly two weeks now and have been getting some kernal panic screens. After installing OSX lion i got these screens again twice and on clicking on more info it said this could be due to external hard drives.

I do have two connected one formatted to mac osx standard is it fat? and one NTFS from a windows machine. My question is has anyone else had this problem or should i be returning the iMac.

Is the Kernal Panic screen as serious as a BSOD in windows pretty sure its not.

It happens mostly when the iMac has been on for sometime.

Thanks for any advice guys am hoping it's due to the NTFS drive causing problems with OSX.
    iPhone 4 16gb :apple:

2. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I think this is a known Lion bug. There are several trigger points for Kernel panics in Lion.

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

This did use to happen is Snow Lepord though just hoping its nothing major its when i tend to leave it on over night.

4. sth macrumors 6502a

Could be a hardware issue. I suggest running AHT (Apple Hardware Test), which is included on the DVDs that shipped with the machine.

A kernel panic means either a hardware defect or a seriously driver bug. In other words: It's not normal.

5. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

could the external hard drive cause this do you think?

6. sth macrumors 6502a

Don't know, it's possible (if the enclosure is faulty), although it wouldn't be my first guess.

Disconnect the drive and see if anything changes.

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Yes, it could be caused by the external hard disk. To test the external hard disk in one way is to disconnect the external hard disk from your computer. If no KPs occur after the disconnection, then the KPs were caused by the external hard disk. Bad sectors of a hard disk can cause KPs. A corrupted file system can also cause KPs. And bad memory easily cause KPs.

You can also run a test with the Apple Hardware Test as suggested in a previous post. This way you may detect all possible causes. If the machine freezes at the memory test portion, then the KPs were definitely caused by bad memory. I was once fed up by the KPs caused by bad memory sticks.

8. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Ok thanks alot i will do all of these tonight and let you know how i get on :)