Kernal Panic at startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeppelin68, Dec 16, 2007.

1. zeppelin68 macrumors regular

My Ibook G4 has another large problem. I cannot get it to boot into OSX and it shows a kernal panic at startup. I have tried resetting the pram and pmu. I have repaired the hard drive with disk utility and I have run the hardware test.(everything was fine).

The top of the kernal panic message says "unable to find driver for this platform: "powerbook6,5" Does anyone know what this means exactly?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Strange... Do you have any third party hardware installed? If you can, try running an Archive & Install. I hope everything's backed up! :)

3. zeppelin68 thread starter macrumors regular

The only third party hardware is a replacement battery. I just tried it without the battery and it still happened. I've had a ton of problems with this computer, haha I wonder if I should email sjobs@apple.com

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's not still under warranty then you might struggle getting any good help from ol' Stevo. What other issues have you had with it?

5. Sixman6 macrumors newbie

i have the exact same problem. started a few days ago and now it just wont get past the startup screen. any ideas?

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

try booting in to safe mode, repairing permissions and remove any startup items.

7. Sixman6 macrumors newbie

errrr....im not that smart. how does one go about doing that? thanks in advance!

*it was doing this with the old 40gb drive that came with the Ibook. I just replaced it and reinstalled OSX successfully on the new drive, but it gets to the "Welcome to OSX Tiger screen" with the music and then kernal panics every single time. Im trying to get this fixed by Christmas as the new hard drive was a christmas present for dad and I feel bad about it not working!*

8. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

you boot into safe mode by holding down the "shift" key during boot as soon as you hear the chime.

If safe mode doesn't work try this

you can also boot into UNIX single user mode by holding "command" and "s" at the boot.

it will load a purely command line UNIX for you, run file system check by typing

"fsck -y" this will run a forced file system repair, if it says errors were fixed during the check, run it until it says the Macintiosh Volume is OK.

to leave this mode type

"shudown -h now"

"reload" or "reboot" works as well, can't remember which at this moment.

hope it helps, my iMac is currently at the apple store for a very like problem.

9. Sixman6 macrumors newbie

hmmm. did the fsck -f, it says the Hard Drive is okay. so im in safe mode, and now its not recognizing the airport card. i thought mine was built in though, and i didnt disconnect it when i took it apart to put in the new hard drive. did i do something wrong, or does it just not recognize it in safe mode? Also, how and where do i remove startup items? you guys are great...i think this ibook is going to be saved after all!

okay quick update. it now gets into OSX loads up and then crashes with the kernal panic. the wireless shows up in the dock as well. does this seem like a hardware problem or something else...

actually it seems like once it starts to use the airport card it crashes. this ever happen to anyone?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sixman6, it might be easiest to simply do an Archive & Install. It sounds like a driver issue.

11. Sixman6 macrumors newbie

tried everything but the archive and install, so hopefully this will work somehow. it panics randomly when i boot up normally once i get to the desktop, sometimes before it completely boots. but it doesnt panic in safe mode. any other suggestions?

12. Sixman6 macrumors newbie

hmmm, the archive and install made it "better". its been running for an hour without a panic, but if i close the lid and reopen it that can cause it to panic. and it will without warning just panic under no particular circumstance. but they are far fewer in between now. checked the ram and its good. apple hardware test shows no problems. could it be a sensor problem on the logic board?