Kernal panic issue after Memory upgrade in Imac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DCSJ, Dec 31, 2009.

1. DCSJ macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2009

I need a little help understanding an issue: I am in the process of upgrading my Imac G5 2.0 20"(ALS) Original RAM was 512MB I am upgrading to the Maximum 2GB.

I bought a pair of new 1GB sticks (2GB kit) from I am having problems with kernal panic messages during start up ONLY when both sticks are installed. I can run either stick in either slot by itself without issue. But Not both at the same time. I spoke with a tech rep at Crucial who said, I have one of 2 issues. He said, Its either a mis-match issue with the new sticks or I have a bad logic board. I question as to whether the logic board is the problem since I have NO issues with the computer operating other than with this memory upgrade. At the moment Crucial has sent out a new pair of Memory sticks for me to try. But If that doesn't do the trick then he says I should take my computer to a MAC servicer for diagnosis. Does this make sense that its a logic board issue.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    No. It worked fine with your old memory, did it not? Did you have memory installed in both slots?