Kernal Panic, leading to unresponsive MBP, Possible causes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColeUK, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ColeUK macrumors member

Hi guys,

Have the newest release of the MBP, is less then 2 months old. Used it yesterday briefly with no problems (web browsed only) returned a few hours later turned it on and received a 'Kernel Panic'.

- A Restart (power off,on) as prompted had not resolved the issue.
    - PMU reset did not resolve it,
    - PRAM reset did not resolve it,
    - Cannot boot in 'safe mode'
    - Disk Utility, First Aid - Verify, Repair, did not fix the issue and had problems completing.

- Hooked it up to iMac via Firewire, HD did not mount but showed in 'Disk Utility' again First Aid has same problem, and hanged on repair.

- Initially tried reinstalling OSX on MBP but said it couldn't install to the partition (only one in use in my case, 'Macintosh HD').

- I then made the decision to wipe the HD, Doing this allowed me to select the HD to install OSX. When i confirm the install it either hangs, or remains frozen on the initial installation progress, (the bar has slight increase, as Disk drive 'whurs' in the drive, and then drops back, disk drive stops, progress is frozen at 40 mins remaining. So the MBP is just basically sitting on the install screen, idle.

What could this be pointing to? A HD fault, RAM or similar? or something less serious? Booked into Genius Bar next mon (earliest opportunity!) but it would be good to get a rough idea of what the causes might be.

Cost a lot of money, is only 6 weeks old, and am going away with work now without it, not amused :(

Appreciate any help or suggestions etc!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Seems likely that it's the HDD causing the problem. Fortunate for you, a HDD failure is the best scenario for you because it's easily fixable in terms of time. If you have an Apple Store near you, they could probably get you up in running in an hour or so.