Kernal panic on screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gersh247, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Gersh247 macrumors newbie

I turned up one day to teach using the Mac Pro and the message on the screen said I had to restart my computer. After many times I gave up. I wrongly thought the hard disk failed as one of the pupils saw some water underneath the Mac from the leaking roof. I checked and formatted the hard drive inside a pc and put Windows on it. After inserting the hard drive and the OSX into the dvd drive proceeded to re-install the software, only to find exactly the same problem as before. Any ideas what to check next before trying to find someone to fix it. I live in South Wales, so not many Apple repair places to choose from.:confused:

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Possible water damage but it still turns on? Hmmm... well, it could be one or more of the RAM modules are buggered. If there's multiple sticks of RAM, try running the machine with each one on their own. If you still get a kernel panic on any of them then they're dead.

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Do you have another (working) Mac Pro at work or home? If so, try using the drive from that machine. If it works, then your HD is the problem; if it doesn't, then you can start checking the rest of your machine.

Loa

4. Gersh247 thread starter macrumors newbie

kernal panic on screen

I initially thought it was a hard drive problem, so I formatted it with windows. To throw another fly in the ointment, it doesn't boot from dvd even when the hard drive is removed??? I tried booting with one bank of ram removed but the same thing happens. Apple have suggested resetting the SMC, so that's my next port of call. Will let you know what happens.

5. cvelezv macrumors newbie

Kernel panic

I had the same problem and it was the GTX 285 graphic card that went bad, I put the ATI card back and the problem went away, just to be sure I put the NVIDIA card back (removing all drives and connections) and the kernel panic reappeared..so try with another card