Kernal Panic - please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mandycandy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mandycandy macrumors newbie

I get this error when i try to start the macbook. It tells me to hold down the power button and restart in like many different languages.

I've tried the following:
    -restart whilst holding down d, ran hardware tests, no errors
    -removed the harddrive, put in a different one and it ran just fine!
    -popped in the install disc 1 and used disc ultility to verify/repair, no errors. When i did the permissions thing, a whole lot of stuff came up, some were changed, some can't be changed back/fixed, then it said it was finished. I rebooted and the problem was still there.

what do i do now??! i know i can do an archive and install, but does that mean i'll lose all my files?

i'm also downloading disc warrior as we speak, hopefully, it can do something.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before or have any solutions/ideas for me? cheers! :)

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Can the machine into safe mode? apple+s ? Did you install anything / system updates?

Worst case, archive and install.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That's not a happy thing to see in a panic backtrace.

5. Mandycandy thread starter macrumors newbie

safe mode does not work :(

and yea i think i did do an update! just a standard apple update thing. If that is the problem, anyway ican undo it?

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The only way i suspect that your going to be able to undo it is a to perform a archive + install - make sure you also tick preserve network settings

This method will simply juse rename the old system folder, install the new one and migrate your settings? ( can someone correct this if it's wrong) Thats my understanding of it