Kernal Panic...Why did it happen, what can I do to avoid it again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taylert123, Oct 18, 2009.

1. taylert123 macrumors newbie

So I had a kernal panic. I don't know why.

I had firefox, transmission, quicktime 10 (the new one), and a finder window open. I left my macbook pro for a couple hours, and when I got back everything was sluggish. I even got the beach ball when I first clicked on firefox. So then I tried to play the video in quicktime (which I watched half of the couple hours before) and the hard drive made "writing" sounds for about 30 seconds and I got a kernal panic. It seems to be fine enough now, but I don't want this happening again. What should I do?

Also, here is the text file that was sent to Apple after I turned it back on:
    This is my first real problem on my macbook and it makes me want to downgrade back to leopard...Because this never happened on it and I like the expose and base 2 on it better anyway...

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Seems like it has to do with QuickTime X. Were you trying to play a movie or stream something online?

3. taylert123 thread starter macrumors newbie

play a movie. It was only about 20 minutes long if that means anything.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What was the extension of the file? More importantly, which codecs have you installed? If you have installed Perian, that could be the reason.

5. taylert123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, sorry. Idk why the length would matter.

It was .wmv So it might have been the flip for mac thing...

Is perian compatible with the new quicktime? I do have it installed, but I thought it only worked with the older quicktime.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I could be wrong but I think both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 both share components. (Macintosh HD/Library/QuickTime) so that wouldn't make a difference.

Does it keep giving you a kernel panic each time you play that specific (or other .wmv) files?

7. taylert123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see.

Nope, it seems not to be doing it anymore with the same file, or other .wmv files I have.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It could've been a fluke then and doesn't mean it will happen again but if it does, the culprit is most likely a codec/plugin. Uninstall them and reinstall if it happens but haven't seen or read of this problem anywhere.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

How the hell did you recognize that it was QuickTime based on looking at that code? I've been working on trying to improve my skills in support situations, and looking at all the KEXTs, I have no idea how that proved anything whatsoever! :)

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

because in there it says
    "
    BSD process name corresponding to current thread: QTKitServer"

QTKitServer is a process that is run by quicktime.:D