Kernal Panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tresbien, May 21, 2008.

1. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

I'm new to the mac world, I've used pc's practically my whole life, but just recently took the plunge and bought a used macbook. So far I've been pretty satisfied with it, minimal complaints, but i do have a big question about a problem I've been having.

I downloaded a torrent program under the advice of my brother, and have been downloading a pretty large torrent (3.53 gb). Its about 70% done now and I really would like it to just finish up becaaaauuuse...

Lately I'll be on the internet, typing something up, or listening to music and a message pops up, telling me I need to restart my computer. Agh!

I looked it up on the apple site and the explanation was kind of vague and not very helpful...so what do you guys think? Is it the torrent program? Or is it just my macbook?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What torrent program are you using? Do you get this message every time you are using the torrent program? Or only once?
    I have been using Transmission, a torrent program, with no problem at all.

3. tresbien thread starter macrumors regular

tresbien

I've been using azureus, and I get it more so when I'm using more than one program...like I'll be typing something up while using safari and listening to music and using the torrent program.

It's happened more than once though, which is what's frustrating.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Did you maybe run the software updater?

And why is this thread labeled "Kernel Panic?" if it has nothing to do with a Kernel Panic?

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

vuze or azereus i cant spell it lol any whos takes up alot of ram and bandwidth basically if i download something large i leave my macbook alone but not anymore since i use my emac for that if u still have a pc and a good virse thing just incase your downloading a virse by accident use utorrent on pc my friend did that since azureus is just well it does weird things to ur computer, what im trying to say is it might be vuze and its auto updates when u open it for the people ubove

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

oh and this has happened to me but it was from well bootcamp was partitioning the disk and told me to restart and it happened to me at school while well i wasnt doing anything and the black box pops up telling me i had to restart my computer so it could be various reasons? and they were both intel's so wtf:confused:

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Whoa! punctuation please.
    This is off topic, but I've seen more than a couple people on this forum call a virus a 'virse', why?

And I'm convinced that the OP just got an alert that asked to update and they did and the update just wants to restart the computer.

EDIT: is it a window that asks for permission to restart or is it a multilingual black box that commands you to restart?

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yes its this kinda box and well i suck at spelling nor care as long as people can understand my half english, and i wounder if this guy knows what a kernal panic is?

9. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Well it helps to actually know or appear to look as if you know some basic English grammar if you're seeking help on an English speaking forum D:....

Just my two cents.

Get used to the kernel panics though, they happen every once and a while!

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I've been getting these boxes that force me to restart a lot (I'm assuming this is a kernal panic but haven't really looked into it that much so I'm not really sure)

11. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yes i would really like to know why this is happening, like even at my flippin school. I wasn't doing anything just on another fellows computer editing some stuff on Imovie, and it decides to restart on me like wtf.

PS i put some commas and some periods and spell checked everything for ya :p who ever wanted me to

hah it just happened to my friend lol and he was using bootcamp lmfao x12039302038283

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If it was a kernel panic the message would look like this:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/694/panic3jh9.jpg

If it's a dialog box you should actually be able to continue your work and anyway it should stop after having you restart the mac.

The causes are completely different and while kernel panics may happen if you get them consistently it's clearly a sign of a problem.

13. tresbien thread starter macrumors regular

tresbien

I know it was a kernal panic, its the black multilingual box that wouldn't let me continue working before I restarted my computer.

I was mostly just wondering if anyone had any idea of how to prevent this from happening or what could have possibly caused them, but it seems like they are pretty normal?

By the way, I'm not a guy, I'm a girl, and I did know what a kernal panic was, otherwise I wouldn't have posted a thread.

14. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea well sry some people get confused with kernal panics and such but it happened to my friend twice and me twice once on bootcamp same with him and then the other just doing nothing

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Kernel panics (KPs for short) generally don't happen often. What version of OS X are you running? (Apple menu -> About this mac). How much RAM you got?

You said you're running Azuerus, try switching the UI from that fancy Vuze crap to Classic 2.x.x interface. Azuerus is a bit of RAM hog (I personally love it though) and could be a culprit. Do you run anything else while running Azureus?

16. tresbien thread starter macrumors regular

tresbien

It has one gig of ram, and its the 10.5 version of OS X. I do usually run other programs while running Azuerus. I'm thinking that after I'm finished with the current torrent that I'm uploading, I won't use Azuerus anymore. I'm not a big torrent user, but it seems that I'll avoid problems by not using Azuerus.

17. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Just straight 10.5? Not 10.5.1 or .2? If it's 10.5 I'd recommend updating the OS, which can be done by hitting software update under the Apple Menu. (If you know this stuff, I apologize in advance. You said you were new and I didn't want to lose ya :) )

Adding another 1GB of RAM would certainly help in this case as well.

If you're intent on ditching Azuerus, Transmission is a sound alternative. I prefer Azuerus because it his highly configurable and I'm a geek.

18. tresbien thread starter macrumors regular

tresbien

uhm, yep? I guess its only 10.5, its what the box says?

heh, as you can probably tell, I am VERY new to mac's. Still trying to figure everything out. So far, I haven't really changed/updated/installed anything because I'm worried that I'm going to accidently screw something up.

19. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

In the About This Mac (ATM for short) box under the Apple Menu it should say "Version 10.5.2", as that's the most up to date version. If it reads other than that, under the same Apple Menu hit software update and you'll make the system current.

That's understandable, software updates generally don't cause any problems. In your case it could be beneficial. The first release of Leopard, 10.5, was a bit flakey. The .1 and .2 (or incremental) updates make it stable.

20. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

oh and if u do use torrents agn maybe use opera i believe it's already installed on leopard for the computers that came with it

21. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i find vuze faster as well is it just me or is it true?

22. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I disable Vuze. I strictly run Azuerus under the classic interface. Vuze is total rubbish IMHO.

23. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well yea same here i just hate spelling azuerus sso does it run faster or am i crazy cause i find it faster than opera even tho its all up to the seeders and such

24. tresbien thread starter macrumors regular

tresbien

okay, so I check in ATM, and found that is OSX 10.5.1

I don't know if I'm going to update it right now, but I probably will tomorrow. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it :D

25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Couldn't tell ya. Never ran Vuze long enough to find out and make a comparison. Opera? That's a browser, not a torrent downloader. If you want you can make your own thread or you can PM me talk about it. I don't want to derail the OP's thread any more than it has been.

It should find the 10.5.2 update and download it. You will have to restart your computer though.

You're very welcome! I hope the update helps out. Let us know how it went! :)