Kernal panics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrendonSG, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BrendonSG macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right forum to post but anyway here's my issue.
    I've got the MBPr for a few months now and i've faced literally zero issues till yesterday.

My laptop kept restarting itself till I reinstalled the OS. I have no idea what had caused the crashes but here's my log file and hopefully someone can point out what is likely to cause the problem to me.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

A couple of things you don't mention....Most importantly, has your Mac been running okay since you did the re-installation? It's hard to guess at what might be the culprit here, but RAM is always a good starting point. Have you run a memory check?

3. BrendonSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Its running better but not exactly okay. It restarts itself when on sleep mode (before the re-installation, it hangs and restart itself every 1 or 2mins).

How do I run a memory check?

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Download memtest.....it's free:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

5. BrendonSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I passed the mem test..so the only problem now is that it restarts itself when it is on sleep mode. It restarts itself on sleep mode (auto-sleep mode) however it doesn't restart when I sleep it manually (click on apple on top left and sleep).

6. Macman45, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

you might cure this by preventing the Mac from hibernating, although random restarts were not something we came across...have a look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750

I know it's iMac related but some folks have applied the same fix to laptops with success....like I said though...random restarts were not a fault we'd come across meaning you may still have a hardware issue here.

7. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

From the original panic log, it appears that a page-map table was corrupted. The kernel maintains mappings between physical pages and virtual pages and if this gets corrupted then the kernel must panic. The mappings are kept in RAM, so if you have a bad module this would explain the corruption.

You have 8 gigs of installed memory, but it looks like memtest was only able to verify ~5 of them. You could still have a bad module.

8. BrendonSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Had my MBPr fixed at a local repair centre.

It was a logic board problem. They ran a MRI, reinstalled the OS and my laptop still encountered kernel panic. A logic board replacement solved the problem.