Kernal panics!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polishmacuser, Jul 9, 2007.

1. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

THis is weird i boot my computer up today and i had no problems with it at all and then i put it too sleep and i wake it and i have a kernal panic a few minutes later. I do the same thing and i have a kernal panic so i think it must be the OS i repair permissions and i dont get any panics until like 40 minutes after im scared because im leaving for europe tomorrow and the last think i need is for my hard drive to crash plus i dont have any backups.Please help!!!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You don't have a backup of your computer, or you don't any backup computers? If it's the former, take this time to make a backup now!

3. polishmacuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That's why you should back up regularly ;) I back up the entire drive once a week (easy to do with SuperDuper!) and back up my documents folder onto my USB key every day.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The most common cause of kernel panics is a hardware failure of some kind, mainly bad RAM. The best chance you have to get up and running reliably before you leave is to remove RAM, especially any that you may have added recently or yourself.

6. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Since you need the computer today, applecare is probably out of the question. If you are near an apple store, you could bring it in if you are still under applecare, and tell the genius you are in a desperate hurry.

Another solution would be to not put it to sleep at all. It is a temporary fix, but it will probably work. From what I understand from your post, it only happens when you wake it from sleep.

When you are ready for a more permanent fix, I would reccomend not backing up your entire computer (like through using a program that just makes an image of every little detail of your computer at this point, like SuperDuper) because you may still encounter the problem with the KP's when you resotre your system. I usually just back up media files/documents, FF bookmarks, apps, and maybe app preferences for a few of the more used apps I have.