Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammerhart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
I was playing Minecraft when suddenly I began to experience INTENSE lag. So much that the game is unplayable. I open activity monitor to see that kernal_task is using up 850mb of memory.

I tried a few things like deleting the plist and whatnot, but no change.

I've read some peopel stating that this is a typical amount of kernal_task memory usage for them. If that's the case I have idea why I would get this amount of lag when MC is the only app open.

OS X 10.9.5
2.66 Ghz Intel Core i5
Mem: 16GB
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
850 MB RAM usage is pretty much negligible compared to the 16 GB your iMac has and nothing unusual. Secondly, it's a OS X background task and has nothing to do with the performance you see in Minecraft. You should rather look for the "Minecraft" task. The game is a notorious performance hog.

Last edited:

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
850 MB RAM usage is pretty much negligible compared to the 16 GB your iMac has and nothing unusual. Secondly, it's a OS X background task and has nothing to do with the performance you see in Minecraft. You should rather look for the "Minecraft" task. The game is notorious performance hog.

+1

I'm pretty sure that kernal_task is not the problem here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.