Kernel message screen of death help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mellingerlocke, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Mellingerlocke macrumors newbie

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
    Verifying volume “The Love Machine”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid key length
    The volume The Love Machine needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “The Love Machine” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
    1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

Any idea what this means? I started getting Kernel messages and eventually had my hard drive replaced. Then I started getting them again with this message when I tried running disk utility. Any ideas?

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Did you run the disk repair utility after starting up from the disk, i.e. holding the "C" key on startup, or after starting up normally?

Sorry to say, but it does sound like you need a new HD, but I would schedule a Genius Bar appointment and see if they can't repair the drive there first.

3. Mellingerlocke thread starter macrumors newbie

I get the same disk utility error no matter when I run the program. Also, the kernel errors seem to occur randomly. I just had the HD replaced no more than three weeks ago, this doesn't make sense. My Microphone stopped working too.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

5. Mellingerlocke thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't start up in Safe mode. Every time I try it just turns itself off in the middle of the boot process. I'll single user mode.

6. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Since there's something fundamentally wrong with the HD your system software is on, that's why I was saying you should try booting it up from the Hardware Test CD.

Single user mode is still booting from the the hard drive that you already know has problems, just like booting in safe mode.

If you don't have the Hardware Test CD, you might need to take it to Apple and have it booted from one of their diagnostic HD's.