Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tduality

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
After exactly 4 years of reliable service my good ol' PM G4/400 suddenly started to panic frequently.

Things I changed?

With the coming of Garageband I digged out my Steinberg Midi To UBS Box, downloaded the latest driver and played happily along. That's about all the changes to the system since the upgrade to 10.3.2.

What I did now?

Disconnected the Midi-UBS Box, removed the driver from the startup-items, installed 10.3.3 and tried to repair disk permissions. It couldn't, because there was the BaseSystem package missing in the Receipts folder. Don't know whether this already the case before I installed 10.3.3.

Anyway, since yesterday there was a panic any more. But it could come again any time.

What I'm actually asking for?

The kernel panic says:

Entering system dump routine
A panic server was not specified in the boot-args, terminating kernel
core dump.

I would really like to have the core dump. Not so sure whether I would really be able to learn something from it but I think it's better to have than not.

So if anyone know where and how to change the boot-args to specify the panic server, I'd be happy.

Martin

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If you haven't recently run Drive 10, Tech Tool Pro 4, or DiskWarrior on your drive, you should.

While I cannot offer an explanation for the behaviour, my feeling is that you're having a problem with data loss due to drive structure problems. Running one of those disk repair applications has a good possibility of helping. While Apple's Disk Utility and the UNIX utility fsck help, they don't handle file problems.

tduality

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
bousozoku said:
If you haven't recently run Drive 10, Tech Tool Pro 4, or DiskWarrior on your drive, you should.

While I cannot offer an explanation for the behaviour, my feeling is that you're having a problem with data loss due to drive structure problems. Running one of those disk repair applications has a good possibility of helping. While Apple's Disk Utility and the UNIX utility fsck help, they don't handle file problems.

Thanks for the hint.

I was thinking of that as well. The disk Panther is running on now is also 4 years old. On the weekend I'll move everything to an newer disk just to be sure.

Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.