Kernel panic after installing new internal HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dscuber9000, Apr 6, 2010.

1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I got a new internal hard drive today and I was able to physically put it into my MacBook Pro fine. I know that's not the problem. However, I'm struggling to get my MacBook Pro to turn on.

Originally my MBP was running Leopard, then I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Now that I replaced the hard-drive, I put in the Leopard install disk and used Time Machine to restore my Mac. When that finished and turned it on, I get the kernel panic screen, and now I'm starting to panic a bit. :p Does anyone know what I can do? Right now I'm installing Snow Leopard to see if that helps...

Edit: The hard-drive I got is a 2.5" SATA Western Digital Scorpio Black, so I'm pretty sure the brand isn't the problem...

2. celticpride678

Can you access the OS or is it an immediate kernel panic?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A fresh install might fix the problem. I avoid using time machine just cuz full backups are more my flavour.

But then again...it IS a Western Digital....:D

4. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Immediate.

Edit: Alright, installing Snow Leopard worked. 256GB available looks beautiful. :) Thanks for responding, guys. ^

5. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Same thing happened with me. Ended up just cloning the original hard drive with carbon copy cloner. The new drive was pretty slow for about 3-4 days compared to the old drive, but now it's not noticeable. I read somewhere it has something to do with the cache but I don't know for sure.. Went from the 160GB to 1TB WD.

6. prlax12, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

prlax12 macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem. I ended up having to go to the Apple Store and they just reinstalled SL from their network. It took about 15 minutes. The genius said that a lot of people have this problem and it has to do with a very particular file in Leopard being damaged or missing. In short, you will save yourself a lot of time if you just shoot over to the Apple Store and have them upgrade you.