Kernel panic after norton soft

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Supergolfo, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Supergolfo macrumors newbie

Supergolfo

Hi people.

Recently i installed norton antivirus 11 and norton personal firewall 3 in my macbook pro and i have 2 problems since then.

First norton personal firewall crash all the time because is not compatible with intel based macs.

Seccond im receiving many kernel panic messages. 3 today.

I uninstall both applications after the first kernel panic message but the problem still remain.

Could this message have any relation with norton software? Do you have any clue to fix the problem with out reinstall the system?

Greetings...

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Firstly if you can put in your norton cd and see if it offers a option of removal? I did a bit of looking and could not locate a removal tool for you, they seem to have them only for windows products

3. Supergolfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Supergolfo

Hi friend. Thanx for responding.

Yes, there is an uninstaller for norton products in norton personal firewall, and i use it... it seemed to work because when i launch it again, it says that there is no norton software installed, but the problem still remains. =,(

Any clue?

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Is there any norton software in your applications folder? If there is move it to the trash Also might be worth seeing if the system is launching anything at boot up. Go into system preferences and click accounts

Select Logon items

If there are any norton items just un tick them. Itunes helper is ok if that is ticked

5. Supergolfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Supergolfo

No dude, no norton or symantec stuff signs remains on the computer, and is the same thing in login items.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It may have altered some of the files in the System ... installing something older.

Create a new user and see if the problem goes away, if it does you might try trashing the preferences in the bad user folder.

If it worked fine before Norton, and even a new user fails to fix it. Reinstall the OS and don't use Norton again.

Note: I only say this if Norton failed to make the proper version check on some of the Antivirus stuff in the OS and installed something that causes problems with the current versions of the Firewall/Antivirus systems native to OS X.

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

If all else fails, I would archive and install. You can preserve your settings and data while restoring the operating system to a stock state.

8. Supergolfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Supergolfo

=( Thankyou very much for your advices dudes.

Maybe i will try diskwarrior first before reinstall the whole os.

Thanx again = )