Kernel Panic after updating to "Mac OS X combined"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbook123, May 14, 2009.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Since my MBP died a few days ago and needs to be sent in, I just installed Leopard on my old Macbook from a Leopard DVD I had bought some time ago. The install and subsequent reboot went just fine, but after I updated online to a "combined OS X update" and restarted the laptop, I'm getting the kernel panic screen shown in the attached image (sorry for the poor quality, I only had my iPhone available to take it...). The same thing repeats when I reboot (tried 5 times).

I also installed a new hard drive, but that had worked just fine after installing from the DVD.

Now I can't even boot from the DVD anymore, i.e. no obvious way to re-install from the DVD.

I also checked whether the RAM is in place (thought perhaps it had gotten loose during the hard drive install or after), and there seems to be no problem.

I'd be very grateful for any advice folks might have.

Attached Files:

2. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you're getting a kernel panic on startup, and you cannot boot to the disc, the only thing that's left to isolate would be a hardware issue. When upgrading the drive, any possibility you shifted the internal hardware around a bit, pinching a cable perhaps?