Kernel Panic appears at Panther startup screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GummyBears, Apr 6, 2012.

1. GummyBears macrumors newbie

Problem: green fuzzy lines covering screen
    Kernel Panic while booting everytime

I fixed the green web covering my screen by resetting the PRAM and NVRAM by holding "Command"+"Option"+P+R while booting.

I tried entering Safe Mode but Kernel Panic occur before I can get to Safe Mode.

I ran a Volume's file system check-up by typing "/sbin/fsck -fy" in Single User Mode. The first time result was "File system was modified", I repeated the command and the result was "The volume HD Macintosh is ok", I then command it to "roboot", but Kernel Panic occurred again.

I entered the Single User Mode again, ran the check-up like the first time, I had to run it two times again to get it to say "The volume HD Macintosh is ok", then I commanded it to "exit", hoping that way I don't have to go through the Panther startup screen, but I got stuck at "DSMOS has arrived".

Same with Verbose Mode, I got stuck at "DSMOS has arrived" without even typing anything.

I tried to boot while holding "C" and with the OSx disk inserted, Kernel Panic occurred again.

Even tried booting without the battery but with the charger pluged-in because someone told me to do it, of course Kernel Panic occurred again.

Information about this Mac:
    -2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    -6MB shared level 2 ache
    -4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    -NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and NVIDIA GeForce
    9600 GT graphics processors with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

I don't have AppleCare or whatever it takes to talk to Apple on phone.

I do have a third-party 500 GB hard drive. The thing next to the battery is a hard drive right?

2. simsaladimbamba

Since Mac OS X 10.3 Panther is not Intel compatible, that may be your problem, but I guess you either use Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?

And yes, that thing shown here, right next to the battery, is an internal 2.5" S-ATA HDD, which you can replace with any other 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm.
    [​IMG]
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

You could also use an external HDD to install Mac OS X onto, if you don't have a properly formatted 2.5" S-ATA HDD.