Kernel panic attack due to Norton Antivirus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gaven, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Gaven macrumors member

Is anyone experiencing kernel panic attack which forces your macbook to hang and restart due to norton antivirus extensions? Have contacted Apple and they mention it's because of the installation of these norton plugin extensions..

Does MacBook really needs an anti-virus?

2. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

From my expirence no it's very rare for a Mac to get a virus I've never gotten one, Safira is amazing at detecting faulty websites and you have to enter your password before installing things and OS X warns when trying to install untested applications so my simple answer is no

3. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Nope, no antivirus needed. If something comes up, you'll hear about it in the news. Then you can get an antivirus. But so far, you're good.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

What Joshlalonde and GGJ wrote is correct.'
    Despite that your mac can contract viruses and pass them on to windows machines.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

And if you must run an AV, I've always heard that Norton is one of the worst.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

As has been stated, antivirus software is unnecessary for this platform.

Where I'd use AV software would be if my Mac was being used as a mail server and the mail spool needed to be scanned for crap prior to being read by windows clients connecting to the mail server.

Uninstall the Norton stuff and see how your system acts.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Even if Apple needed to be protected I would NEVER USE NORTON!

Never.:rolleyes:

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    NAv, has been a resource hog, and POS since my Windows days:eek:
    Get rid of it

10. Gaven thread starter macrumors member

If so any anti virus to recommend? Or just do with nothing

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Avast or Sophos if you really, really want something on your Mac, though it's likely to do more harm than good (in my experience, blocking legitimate connections, causing compatibility issues). Furthermore, as others have mentioned, you can only really get malware on the Mac - and as users install malware themselves or it's bundled with other applications when installing, antivirus won't prevent you from getting that anyway.

There are no known viruses for OS X. Not even one. :D :apple:

12. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You do not need it. It will only consume resources and does nothing. I run antivirus on my Air but that is due to me running Windows 7 via BootCamp.

Unless you are running Windows you do not need it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as you practice safe computing (read post #4 and the linked information), I recommend you don't install any antivirus app. None are 100% effective and all can lead to a false sense of security.
    I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

14. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Norton AV is malware, IMHO. That is the clunkiest, memory and CPU hog that I have ever seen.

ESET32 is a way better choice, cheaper, award winning, doesn't bog your computer down.

Whether or not you need it on OS X is a different question. I have it on my MBA, but then I bought a family license to put it on all my Win7 desktops, and the extra licenses didn't cost me any more money.

15. trompfy macrumors newbie

trompfy

I am experiencing kernel panic attack as well after installing Norton so after the third time I decided to try Trend Micro.

16. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

You'd have to pay me a princely sum just to install Norton on my Macs.

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have been using Macs since the "Fat Mac" 512k in 1985. Never installed any antivirus software. Never had a problem. Just sayin'…. :)