Kernel Panic (Corrupt Kernel)- Fix or Replacement??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starzerl, May 22, 2011.

1. starzerl macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro is the 7.1 model, Spring 2010 model.
    Yesterday, I was installing the FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced. It was giving me problems, (not all files getting installed on my computer) so after about six tries, I manually opened the package and ran a package inside, 'fmpa11Application.pkg'.

It was really dumb. I did not imagine that I was setting my mac to self-destruct.

After about ten minutes, the installer finished (or i force-quitted it, i don't quite remember), and I got an endless amount of error dialogs prompting me that a certain Kernel Extension is corrupt. After dismissing about 40 of them, I pressed down on the power button, and rebooted it. Voila.

Now it won't boot, normal mode, safe mode, single user mode, all of them giving kernel panics. Having another MacBook Pro in the household (MPB 5.5 though), I used firewire cable to extract the data, so data's fine.

I tried to reinstall through the Install DVD, but I'm not sure if it's the one that came with the 7.1 or 5.5, and it's also giving kernel error during the progress wheel, before the language selection. The only thing that works during bootup is pressing 'option' which gives me the bootable disks menu. Except they don't boot properly.

I borrowed a neighbor's 8.1 Install DVD, and that boots through the language selection but it tells me 'Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.' I could access the other utilities, though, so I erased the HD, partitioned to a single partition with GUID mode, MAC OS Extended format, but still no luck.

I think the whole kernel's gone haywire, the drivers and kernel extensions. Perhaps the installer executed an infinite memory write loop while in the kernel?

So, my question.
    1. Does the install DVD only work (let you reinstall Mac OS X) for the exact same model that the install DVD came with? If so, I should call AppleCare and request an install DVD for my model and try again.

2. Can you tell where the problem would most likely be contained at? (kernel, cache, etc)

3. It has been 10 months since purchase. The Apple warranty does not cover this case, right?

4. If the Kernel extensions and drivers are contained in the hard drive, would replacing the hard drive fix the problem??

5. Is it possible to install the OS on the broken computer through firewire cable from another macbook?

What should I do? Any help would be most appreciated.

2. superericla macrumors 6502

You were most likely thinking correctly when you repartitioned the hard drive. Since the kernel extensions and so forth are located on the hard drive, there shouldn't be a reason for that to be your problem now. You do need the install disk that is for your specific computer model to install with it so that's most likely your problem.

3. starzerl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That takes loads off my chest :) I will call up AppleCare tomorrow and order a new install disk.