Kernel Panic during start up!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leeleetea, Oct 23, 2007.

1. leeleetea macrumors newbie

I have a 2005 iBook G4, so it is way out of the warranty on parts.

Here's what happened. I decided to re-install OS X after getting an externel hardrive. That all went fine and I was working thought some updates. I updated itunes to 7.4.2, but it said that I needed a higher operating version (10.2 maybe) so I updated that and something else, javascript maybe? I can't remember. That update took a rediculously long time. Stupid me, I was surfing the net in the background, even though the update was making everything really slow. Then System Update went unresponsive, but I know that it tecnically updated both programs. I force quit System Update and shut my computer to go to bed. As I was lying in bed I heard it shut itself down, which made a funny noise. This morning it's giving me a kernel panic, and I can't start up in Safe mode.

On top of all this the code on top of the kernel panic looks like it tried to load twice, there are two sets of code.

The first one says :
    Unable to find a driver for this platform: "PowerBook6, 5".
    which is odd to me since I have an ibook, not a powerbook.
    the darwin kernel version is 8.10.0, which is different from most of the other kernel codes I've been seeing posted on the site

the second says that it is dumping debug information, then identical code to the first one, same kernel code, but then has an extra line that says
    panic: We are hanging here
    while I am amused with my computer's sense of humour, I am not amused with it not working!

I have tried starting it up with the install disk in, but that didn't work either, got the exact same code. This has happened every single time I've opened it, nothing different.

Help!

2. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, so I've mannaged to run it off the disk, (held down c key right after the start up sound) however, when it asked where I wanted to install the disk, there weren't any options. Is this a hard drive problem?

I've now quit install and said to start up off the disk, we'll see if that works.

It will only install, which I can't do since I have nothing to install it on.

Advice?!

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

when the installer comes up, quit out and go to to disk utility. See if you can see the drive there, if you can reformat, then go back to the installer. the drive should be visible.

were talking about 10.4, not 10.2 right? (black install DVD with big white X on it)

5. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i put in the origional install disks, I'm a noob at this. I want to switch to the 10.4 disk, but I can't get it to eject the disk now.

I did get to disk utility, and it won't let me from there either. the only options I have out of disk utility are first aid, erase and restore, none of which I paticularly want to do without knowing what will happen. It is recognizing the hardrive, the external drive (even though it isn't plugged in) and the disk. the hardrive has a mount option, but that isn't working.

And the PRAM thing didn't work. but I have some feeling that might be because it's still trying to run off the install disk.

6. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

Update!

I got the first install disk out and put in the one you mentioned, 10.4.

However, it tells me that I do not have OS X v10.3, and therefore cannot install v10.4.

In the disk utility it now says that the SMART status is failing.
    the external hardrive is recognized, but says that it has reported a fatal harward error. It is unplugged, so that might be that, but it's still not recognizing my hardrive either.

bah!

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Try repairing disk. If that doesn't fix it then you might have to get a new drive.

8. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

By repair, do you mean first aid, or restore? I'm not seeing a repair option. If it is first aid, then I see the button, but I am not able to click on it under any of my options (hardrive, external or install disks)

Would it be possible to temp. run it off my external hardrive in order to fix the hardrive? Or to at least diagnose it?

9. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^ yes you can install to and run off the external, and use disk utility off of the new system to try to repair the internal.

10. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, I've gotten the computer to try and repair the internal harddrive, but it stops, saying the

Volume check failed.
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
    Repair attempted on 1 volume
    0 HFS volumes repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired

Next question: What would erasing the disk do? Good idea or bad idea?

11. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If you erase the disk, the disk will be empty (as in no operating system, and no files that you had on there.) If you have backup of all your files and bookmarks, etcetera then feel free to erase the disk and reformat (partition). Then perhaps you can reinstall the OS.

12. leeleetea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone! I think this is finally working, at least it's doing what it should for once.

Thanks again for the help!