Kernel Panic - HELP! (USB related)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rocknpop, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

Guys,

I just tried to connect my Line6 PODxt to my MacBook Pro 2.53 after installing a software that had an old driver. I got the kernel panic screen several times trying to reboot. I then unplugged the USB and it worked fine.

I don't have much in my MBP right now since it's new - should I do a clean install just to make sure? Or am I being to paranoid and the Kernel Panic ran to PREVENT any major damage from happening?

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Ironically I recently had the same problem with my iMac and the toneport UX2.

Simple fix is to go to line-6's website and go to their driver support and choose your device accordingly.

What is the PodXT? Is it a pre-amp similar to the UX2? Is it so you can plug your guitar into your computer to use a program like GarageBand or logic studio to create different effects? If you are, and are running snow leopard your gonna run into problems. No Line-6 products support snow leopard yet, as far as I know. There is no way to get sound on this thing in snow leopard, unless you have the proper headphones, which I don't cuz they broke.

Here is a thread I started on Line-6's website: http://line6.com/community/thread/24243

one poster, on page two, said there is a program called "linein mac" and just google. I have not been home for over 3 weeks so I have not gotten a chance to try it yet.

Believe me brother, I've had a few headaches trying to figure this out but with the inability to get sound from the UX2 to use with logic it gets annoying.

I am thinking of buying an analog out to a 1/8 inch connector so I can plug it directly into my computer, but that doesn't belong inthis thread.

Good luck, I guess....let me know what you figure out

3. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but I still would like to know if there is anything that the kernel panic could have changed in my macbook pro for me to re-install the OS??

And yes... Line6 sucks!

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Kernel Panic's don't damage your computer. They're simply thrown when there is an error with a device or software whether it be corruption or incompatibility. If you try the above method and it works, that's all you need to do, reinstalling the OS is if you've tried everything and it still gives you Kernel Panic's.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

No it doesn't change anything. When I bought the UX2 I had kernal panics. Then just got the drive which resolves that issue.

I wouldn't say Line-6 sucks. I also have a spider III amp, it creates an OK sound, nothing to brag about but being a beginner it suites my needs. I've heard great reviews of the UX1 and UX2 cuz of no lag, that's the only reason I got it. Apparantly Line-6 products worked fine just through USB on leopard + tiger, not snow leopard just yet tho......

I guess until the software gets worked out, the best thing to do is get hardware as it doesn't fail! (by that I mean getting an audio out cable and plugging it into your audio-in on your laptop)