Kernel Panic Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MCRunning, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Can someone what tell me what is causing these kernel panics? I have a 2 1/2 year G5 and this last year have been experiencing kernel panics frequently throughout the day, I have taken in into apple and they tell me everything is fine. Usually when the kernel panic occurs the fan on the computer starts to turn on and the only way to stop it is to hold the power button down.

Here are some of the Panic Reporter logs, don't know if these are specific enough to determine the cause of the problem? Any help would be great!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Eliminate the 3rd party memory as the cause ...

Repair the drive, since the frequent KPs can cause issues there.

If you have the Apple Care and the diagnostic DVD, run that in a loop.

3. MCRunning thread starter macrumors 6502

When I try to run the diagnostic DVD the fan turns on and it freezes up. This occurs when both Apple Ram is installed or Apple Ram + 3rd party ram is installed.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Pull the HD and try the DVD again ... (there is a reason for this, but the explanation lies in the way the Open Firmware PPCs work.)

But it may be a logic board or a Power Issue at the home, something on the line could be causing a bunch of noise.

If it works at the Apple Store, and not at home ... the power line issue, aka the power coming from the wall ... may be the problem.

5. MCRunning thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is what happens when I try to boot it up from the cd to repair the disk. (Short 15 second vid)

Here are the logs

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Think, if the machine tests out fine at the store, and goes wacky at home -- its something you plug into the machine -- or the power (either noise or voltage.)

If you take it home and plug stuff into USB and FW, unplug them.

If it always seems to go wacky lately in your room, take it to another room on another breaker and try it.

Something as simple as the new low energy florescent bulbs or a box fan (electric motor) can be enough to take out a computer.

Of course apps like skype can do the same thing, and have.

7. MCRunning thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help Sun Baked. I see where you are coming from, but I just moved a month ago and was having the same problems at my old house. I just downloaded Skype yesterday and was having problems before I even downloaded it. The only thing extra I have plugged in is a Belkin USB Hub and Bose speakers. While I was gone at college I had the Belkin USB Hub with me and was still having the same problem when that was not plugged in.

I think it is an internal problem because I have reformatted my computer numerous times and with Garageband I can never get it work. I get an error saying "Out of Memory!" then "Out of Memory!" Couldn't insert or delete data. After that the GB would just crash.