Kernel panic...is it a firewire device? (error report included)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pat H, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Pat H macrumors member

I was having kernel panics quite often before 10.5.2, and they don't seem to have stopped even after the upgrade. Someone mentioned that it might have been the aftermarket RAM I installed (which is fully up to apple specs btw). But I noticed something on the error report that leads me to think it might be my M-Audio firewire external sound card instead. I've highlighted the spot in red. If anyone has some insight on this please share, Thanks!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The best way to find out is to remove the device.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Definitely looks like it could be the M-Audio Firewire device. Try removing it and see what happens.

Not only is it citing the Firewire module, but Firewire Audio as well, so it really helps pin-point it.

4. hpl macrumors newbie

Got exactly the same behaviour, even after installing M-Audio's most current BETA-Drivers (supporting OS X 10.5.2). In my case its definitely the 1814-Device which causes the Kernel-Panic:

5. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's def the M-Audio...today I unplugged the firewire from the unit and then plugged it back in, and Leopard crashed instantly. So I guess for now I'm leaving it unplugged until I absolutely need it.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, M-Audio will get around to releasing a solid driver for the device.

7. reubidium macrumors newbie

I too have been experiencing kernel panics, all seemingly tied to the AppleFWAudio component. I am using a Presonus Firebox audio device, however. This is on an '08 Intel iMac with Leopard 10.5.2, and these kernel panics only happen for me when I am waking the machine from sleep.

Would sure love to find a solution. This is happening fairly consistently whenever my box "falls asleep"

thanks all :)

8. hpl macrumors newbie

Since they're not even able to provide a properly working feedback formular for beta testers I hardly doubt that :mad:

9. msabramo macrumors newbie

It's not just M-Audio

I wouldn't be so quick to blame M-Audio, since I have this problem as well with another brand of interface. These Firewire audio interfaces typically don't have their own drivers - they use Apple's Core Audio and Firewire stack. So it could be a bug in the OS (I wonder if this problem is Leopard-only?). Or it could be related to the Agere Firewire chipset in newer Macs. Or it could be the hardware/firmware in the device doing something that the OS doesn't expect.

I get this kernel panic as well with a PreSonus Firebox and 10.5.2. I filed a bug report at http://bugreport.apple.com as problem ID 5767884.

I want to buy an Apogee Duet - I wonder if this will exhibit the same problem. Anybody know?

-Marc
    http://marc-abramowitz.com

10. plaine300 macrumors newbie

apogee

Yes, I have an Apogee Duet (brand new Mac Pro) and I'm having kernel panics all over the place. I think this is more OS related. Seems to be tied to waking up or going to sleep and I could have sworn I read somewhere where it was also related to plugging Firewire devices into Cinema Displays.

11. stevechollet macrumors newbie

I have been having the same issue, in 10.4.11 with a PreSonus FireStudio. It also happens whenever I plug/unplug a video camera via firewire (which causes the PreSonus to go offline momentarily). Hopefully a fix becomes available for this soon, because I hate shutting down and booting all the way up everytime I plug/unplug a firewire device.

12. jergervasi macrumors newbie

I just set up a new Mac Pro with an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, using Tiger, and kernel panics are a way of life. So is "digital hash noise" through the interface whenever hard drives are accessed (especially external FW drives).

Jer

13. fewture macrumors regular

Yeah I am getting it too. I have an Echo AudioFire 2 with Macbook and I get it occasionally from sleep. There doesn't seem to be much consistency with it though.

14. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

I had the same problem with a modem, I think the only option is to change.

15. udini macrumors newbie

Duet freezes too!

"I want to buy an Apogee Duet - I wonder if this will exhibit the same problem. Anybody know?"
    this and more problems! It's absolutely unusable at the moment. Sound is distorted with a strange delay, trying want to configure the device from within Logic, FCP etc etc. it freezes my machine (latest everything 2.8 okto). No reply from Apogee yet. I am Mac user since '95, mainly video editing, this is the worst problem I'm having since a long, long time!
    Should I return the Duet and get something USB instead? Please advice, thanks
    udo

16. jersmi macrumors newbie

MBP 2.16 Core Duo

I have the same history as the original poster-- history of kernel panics with 10.4.xx, with two erase/installs of the OS. Now I just upgraded to 10.5 and the kernel paincs begin again. I had an external firewire HD hooked up, but in my pnic report i see no indication of firewire as mentioned above.

17. toybits macrumors newbie

Apogee Duet

@Udini

Hi mate, probably too late to help but I have a new Intel iMac and a Apogee Duet.

I get the same issue. I now shut down as opposed to putting the Mac to sleep. i.e. it only seem so to happen when waking it up.

Good luck.

Scott.

18. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

The only kernel panics that I have ever had on OS X (Tiger) are due to firewire devices.

They are usually caused by my M-Audio Project Mix and sometimes by a LACIE firewire drive.

M-Audio does recommend first turning on their firewire devices before booting up the computer. I always leave my firewire devices on 24/7 anyway and do not seem to have problems when doing this.

19. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I agree. This is not an M-Audio, or any other manufacturer, related problem.

There is something wrong with how Mac OS X handles firewire devices.

Perhaps, this is why Apple is starting to reduce the number of firewire ports on their computers, and instead, are now using more USB ports (and cleverly marketing the use of USB due to PC adoption).

However, I still only use firewire when it comes down to audio and video work.

20. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I have an alesis Multimix Firewire 16, and it is not causing any kernel panics at all. Knocks on wood....

21. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

How long have you had it?

Have you ever turned it on while your computer was already on, or do you always turn it on before booting the computer?

Also, how often do you use it? Is it always on or rarely used?

22. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Yep, I always get the "digital hash noise" with every firewire device - iPods, hard drives, audio interfaces, etc.

23. Rufus macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problems with a MacPro 1,1 (original) and a Firewave.

It used to work absolutely perfectly until April of 2008 when I had the motherboard replaced. Not sure if its the new motherboard or a software update that happened at the same time.

24. bitrate72 macrumors newbie

I too have been experiencing this very same error code on a board that
    does not even have firewire capabilites (intel 865gbf)

is there any darwin command i can use to stop the modules from trying to
    load?

thanks!