Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonynz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Have a fairly old Macbook, around five years old.

CPU: Core2Duo 2GHz.

Recently it has been a bit slow, not sure why then when I left the laptop running to download some stuff, upon my return I had a Kernel Panic.

Is my CPU dying soon? Also I've noticed that my CPU is running VERY hot - at around 90degrees!

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 52898 sec

Panics Since Last Report: 1

Anonymous UUID: D4FA13D6-1F6D-48D6-B2F2-B6D259DF6953

Sat Sep 3 12:02:05 2011

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x28fc2e): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x0, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0, now: 0x0"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/osfmk/i386/pmap.c:3572

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
How old is your MacBook? It may be worth digging into it (assuming that it's not under warranty) and rethermalgooping the CPU. Any thermal paste can 'go bad' after a few years - that should bring your temperatures down. Blast the fan with some compressed air while you're in there to get rid of any built-up dust. Actually, air blast the whole kit-and-kaboodle in there. It could be as simple as the CPU getting too hot and shutting itself off to protect itself and the computer - this is what happened to my old MacBook. If that doesn't solve the issue, then there may indeed be something more serious going on in there.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I agree with MultiFinder17. The CPU is overheating. Most likely due to dust and bad thermal paste. Since the machine is 5 years old it isn't at all surprising that the heat sink is clogged with dust.

tonynz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
At the moment, it's idling at about 70 degrees which is still high for doing nothing!

Post the panic log.

Edit: Try my signature.

Darn it I've just closed it but this is some of it:

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 52898 sec

Panics Since Last Report: 1

Anonymous UUID: D4FA13D6-1F6D-48D6-B2F2-B6D259DF6953

Sat Sep 3 12:02:05 2011

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x28fc2e): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x0, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0, now: 0x0"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/osfmk/i386/pmap.c:3572

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

----------

Anyone know if Apple will take it in and clean the thermo paste for me? (For free.. I hope)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
At the moment, it's idling at about 70 degrees which is still high for doing nothing!

Tried clicking my signature? The temperature should lower.

As for the panic log: you can find it in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

tonynz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Tried clicking my signature? The temperature should lower.

As for the panic log: you can find it in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Trying at the moment... thanks for the great app (still a bit high temp though)

I can't seem to find the crash log in the path above... weird.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Anyone know if Apple will take it in and clean the thermo paste for me? (For free.. I hope)

I doubt it, assuming that it isn't under warranty anymore. It's not terribly difficult to do - a bit tricky if it's your first time doing it or even inside a laptop, but it can be done by mere mortals ;)

If you're still nervous, see if a more techie friend would be willing to do it for you. Also, that application that was linked earlier might be an okay interim solution, but blasting the fans is in no way a permanent solution to this problem. I would get it to somebody (whether that somebody is yourself, a friend, or some local computer shop) to regoop it in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.